Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone makes thermometer beep!!

I have recently been sick with a fever, and have my *digital thermometer* handy. The weirdest thing is happening!

A few seconds before the iPhone starts ringing, my digital thermometer starts beeping. Then the phone rings.

Does anyone have a clue why this might be happening?

iMac, iBook, iPhone, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Lots o' iPods!!

Posted on Mar 13, 2008 11:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2008 11:10 AM

katkramer,

It sounds like the digital thermometer might be sensitive to GSM's TDMA interference.

This article has more information:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305662

Hope this helps,

Nathan C.
5 replies

Mar 14, 2008 9:07 AM in response to OldFran

OldFran,

While it may be annoying for some, it falls into the "can't be fixed" category on the phone side, since it applies to how GSM signals are done by the iPhone, the carrier's cell towers, and any other GSM cell phone or data device. One suggestion somebody had was wrapping the iPhone in aluminum foil. While it did cut down on the GSM interference, it would also prevent the iPhone being able to communicate with the cell tower.

Alternatively, shielded speakers, with shielded wiring are not susceptible to the same interference. Some users have mentioned on discussions that wrapping the speaker cable around ferrite beads or a ground loop isolater helps.

I have heard that many car audio places carry ferrite beads for minimizing interference with car stereo speakers.

Thank you,

Nathan C.

iPhone makes thermometer beep!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.