Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you turn off cover flow? I HATE IT!

I just purchased an iPod nano.

But this cover flow thing on the right side of the screen is driving me nuts!

I went to settings > main menu > cover flow and unchecked "cover flow". But I still have this annoying cover flow on the right side of the display.

My iPod video does not have this terrible feature. (Good but why?)

If there's no way to shut this off I'm returning it for a refund.

There has GOT to be a way to shut cover flow off.

Posted on Mar 13, 2008 7:08 PM

17 replies

Mar 14, 2008 3:44 PM in response to Kordogg

Thank you to all who have tried to help.

Perhaps some additional details are in order.

I also have an iPod video. It works correctly. When I go through various menus there is no artwork floating around on the right side of the display.

If I uncheck "display album artwork" in iTunes that will probably turn off the album artwork that my iPod video shows when it's _actually playing that song._ I want to keep that ability.

What I need to turn off is the annoying graphics that takes place to the right in menus.

If my iPod video does it correctly why can't the iPod nano?

Mar 14, 2008 3:54 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:
Thank you to all who have tried to help.

Perhaps some additional details are in order.

I also have an iPod video. It works correctly. When I go through various menus there is no artwork floating around on the right side of the display.

If I uncheck "display album artwork" in iTunes that will probably turn off the album artwork that my iPod video shows when it's _actually playing that song._ I want to keep that ability.

What I need to turn off is the annoying graphics that takes place to the right in menus.

If my iPod video does it correctly why can't the iPod nano?

Because the iPod video does not have that feature and the iPod nano does.

The new iPod nano and the new iPod classic have a new operating system that includes the moving graphics to the right of the menus. As you have been told you cannot turn it off it is what the new menus look like, get over it.

I really don't see what the problem is anyway, it does not interfere with the operation of the menu, nor is it offensive. if you don't like it then take it back and stop whining.

Mar 14, 2008 5:44 PM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron,

I think someone was a little harsh with you. I didn't think you were whining.

But I'm curious about what bothers you so much about these floating images. If you do return and read this, could you explain yourself a little more just to satisfy my curiosity? What is it that bugs you about them? That they float around or that they display at all? Do you worry that they are wasting your battery or something? Or perhaps you feel uncomfortable with people getting glimpses of what's in your iPod just by examining the top menu?

Did I get a hit? I'm genuinely interested.

Mar 14, 2008 7:14 PM in response to Man Who Knows the Mac

Thanks for your nice note.

I didn't think I was whining either. People come to these boards all the time to make certain customizations to how various Apple products work. That's what I was doing.

No one is a bigger fan of Apple than I am.

I find the floating images to be superfluous fluff and a visual distraction to operating the device. It's a little bit like going into certain restaurants with 47 television sets going, all on a different channel.

I think the problem is that the general market for the iPod nano are teenagers. I did send a nice note to Apple suggesting that this feature be optional.

I searched elsewhere on the web regarding this issue and found many other people trying to turn it off. I'm still a big Apple fan and probably always will be. But for now, I'll stick with my iPod video. I'm confident Apple will fix this at some point in the future.

Mar 25, 2008 10:54 AM in response to Man Who Knows the Mac

Its annoying.
The reason why I BOUGHT an iPod over something more like a zune is because of its menu system. Its beautifully simple. This is what apple is famous for. Elegance through simplicity.

Honestly, the ipod is not THAT great of a devics. It plays mp3s. Thats it. It doesn't have an FM tuner in it. It doesn't have an FM transmitter. It doesn't play DIVX, once you put songs that you OWN (as in, recorded, produced, mastered, printed, and ripped) onto it, you can't take them back off again (without third party software).

The new menu system is ugly. Its crowded, half of the tiny screen is taken up by pointless album artwork.

I've own almost every full sized ipod since version one. I hate the touch, and now my "classic" is covered with this crap.

I'm buying a zune.

Mar 25, 2008 1:47 PM in response to fjsdofnsjgv

To each their own, I like the front menu, others do not. Maybe in a future version they'll make it an option. I don't think it is ugly, and it really doesn't use up anything, it is doubtful even with it off they would expand the menu in any way. There would just be white space on the right.

I'm glad it doesn't have an FM tuner, it would just take up space and FM radio *** in this area. I'm glad it doesn't have an FM transmitter, there are no usable frequencies here and again it would add a cost I don't want to pay. If you want a transmitter you can buy one.

If you've owned all these ipods then you would know it has always taken 3rd party software to move non-iTunes purchased music from the iPod to the computer. There are several free ones available that work well.

Sorry you hate the Touch, I really like mine, and I guess I'm not near as sensitive as you are about the album view in the main menu. Maybe you should take up yoga.

Enjoy your Zune.

Apr 11, 2008 10:41 PM in response to Ziatron

I want to turn it off as well, but I think I have a reason that more of you might understand. I genuinely think it slows down the movement between screens. I have a Gen 1, an iPod Photo, and now the gen 6 80 gig classic, and the slowest by far to go from the main menu screen, to, say, Music, then Artists...is the gen 6. That just shouldn't be. And the only difference seems to be that it is randomly finding and displaying album art that, while pretty, doesn't serve much of a purpose except for reminding you of what albums/movies/pictures you already know you have. Has anyone else noticed that with this version, the snappy, satisfying movement between menu screens is sluggish and at some times frustrating...this thing is practically still in the box...4 days old. I would applaud the aesthetic improvements of the new gui if it weren't for the apparent slowdown of what had always been a very quick system.

Message was edited by: BennoTron

Jun 22, 2008 3:17 PM in response to Ziatron

I've been trying to turn it off for a friend because she has to charge her ipod so frequently so i thought i'd cut down all the crap that would use up batteries. I have a good feeling that this is one of those features. I don't particularly see much point in it at all. I agree that it should be a setting that you can turn off completely.

How do you turn off cover flow? I HATE IT!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.