Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting locked applications

I have an program on my computer that is locked, How can i delete it? It will not let me unlock it.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 14, 2008 1:35 PM

4 replies

Mar 14, 2008 2:10 PM in response to airsoftsniper

By "won't let me delete it" do you mean you can't move it into the Trash, or once in the Trash you can't empty the Trash? If it is the latter, then just hold down the Option key when you select Empty Trash. If it is the former you can probably change the Sharing & Permissions with GetInfo to allow you to unselect the Locked box. If that doesn't work (you DID click the padlock at the bottom of the GetInfo box and give your admin password, right?) you can always remove it with Terminal.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Mar 14, 2008 11:14 PM in response to airsoftsniper

Let's first try the simplest least action method:

1. Launch Terminal from your Utilities folder
2. Type this command:

sudo chflags -R nouchg

That's a "super user do" type of command (making you Mac God while the command runs), a space, then the actual "change flags" command, a space, then the "recursive" option (change everything), then the flag to change (in this case we want "no unchangeable" to remove the lock), hit space again, then drag the item you want to remove into the Terminal window and drop, then press the Return key

3. You will be asked for your admin password, type it in very carefully, because what you type is not echoed to the screen in any way whatsoever--you will also receive a little lecture about being careful the first time you use a sudo command

4. Press the Return key again, the command executes and you are returned to command prompt

It will all look something like this:

NoobiX:~ francine$ sudo chflags -R nouchg /Applications/Eudora.app
Password:
NoobiX:~ francine$

The application and all its hidden sub-folders should now be unlocked, and you should be able to Trash it.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

deleting locked applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.