Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app does not download mails from the server

Hi,
I use Apple Mail (always did), and all of a sudden, the following problem occurred: Mail no longer downloads the Mails on the server although there are plenty of new ones. Mail even knows about them! When I press Apple-I, the account info windows opens stating that there are new e-mail. It just does not download them.

All setting for the accout are correct, I tried using Entourage, works fine. Reparing rights resultet in nothing... Worst thing is, that it worked unitl some days ago, I changed nothing in Mail since!

I have no idea what to do.

J-Zbr

Posted on Oct 27, 2005 3:37 AM

19 replies

Oct 27, 2005 6:19 AM in response to Johannes Zuberer

Same thing happened to me. I can send without any problems. On my .Mac site I can send and receive well. Whenever I try to get new mail, it just bings saying there's no new mail. On my .Mac, it shows up. As I noted in my other posting, about the same time, all my addresses got wiped out and iChat reset as if I never used it at all. I checked my account info and deleted preferences as well.

Oct 28, 2005 6:33 AM in response to Richard Burton

I recently had the same problem and found my storage limit had been reached on my ISP's mail server. Deleting messages from the Mail app did not delete them from the server. I had to access my email account at the ISP's website and delete the messages then everything went back to normal.

There is an option in mail preferences, accounts, advanced, to remove messages from the server after retrieving messages, which I have now checked.

Oct 30, 2005 5:57 PM in response to Johannes Zuberer

Obviously quite a few of us are having this problem.

To take it one step further, here are the scenarios I encounter:-

(a) I have this little clock icon next to my Inbox icon, and when I run my cursor over it, there's a message which states "Messages on Server. Server loaction: Inbox". Why does that happen? It should download to my Mail App automatically.

(b) Then after some time (can be a few hours later), the little clock icon disappears and Mail App looks as though it has managed to download the emails from .Mac (because the subject headers of the new emails show up in the Mail App Inbox), but the emails themselves can't actually be viewed, as you perpetually see the message "Loading Message" and that's it. If you quit Mail App and then relaunch, you might get to view an email or two, but then that's all.

I also notice that Mail App is also having problems retrieving emails from my other email accounts with other ISPs, even though in actual fact, those other emails have already been downloaded into my Mail App and should be there to view.

This has never happened to me before, and the problem has been going on for about a week now. Does nobody know how we can fix this?

It's getting quite frustrating. 😝

Thanks much.

Nov 1, 2005 5:33 AM in response to Johannes Zuberer

Thanks for the idea, but it is not really related to this problem. Mail is not downloading new messages to the inbox, since sometime last week, even though it sees them, if I press Command+I for the mailbox.

So this problem still is not resolved. I'm about to switch to Entourage, which I've never used, but Mail simply is not getting my Mail - I've got no choice! 😟

Nov 1, 2005 11:19 PM in response to Johannes Zuberer

As of Oct 27th we have the same problem on one of our machines (imac g4/800, 10.4.2). The new email is on the server, but Mail.app does not want to download it for some reason. As above, command-I shows the Account Info, which DOES show the new messages. But nothing I can do will bring them into mail! We have not changed any settings on this machine in ages. Also, we have other machines, running mail, receiving email from the same domian/mail server without any problems.

HELP!

Nov 4, 2005 2:40 PM in response to Johannes Zuberer

I seem to have the same problem. my emails are not transfered from gmail to my account since a week or so (and I use it now for about half a year). Ive tried all kind of stuff but since I have not changed my settings it's not logical that something is wrong with the settings.
The only thing i am sure of is when I click the triangle with the exclamation point it says The following server error has occured: Time-out of connection with server 'pop.gmail.com' via port 995.
I have no idea what it means. Does sombody have an idea??

Chris

Mail.app does not download mails from the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.