Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to record screensaver as a movie

Does anyone know of a way to record any of the OS X screensavers as a movie file?
I have Copernicus (a freeware program) but it doesn't seem to function with screensavers.

Anyone know any tricks on this?
Thanks in advance for any tips you can offer!

Mac Pro 2.66

Posted on Mar 15, 2008 8:08 PM

7 replies

Mar 16, 2008 1:03 AM in response to lifelongmacuser

Dan used to have a hint here, but I can't find it now!

..Ah, no; that was about using iTunes wavy pictures as movies..

Hmm; sorry, I've forgotten! The Screensaver images are stored in (your name)/Library/Screen Savers if you've installed any yourself, otherwise the 'System' screensavers are in System/Library/Screen Savers.

The ones with a .qtz suffix (..and a QuickTime icon..) can be opened in QuickTime, by ctrl-clicking on one and then choosing QuickTime as the program to use to open it, or by simply double-clicking it.

If you've downloaded 'Snapz Pro' you could "screen-grab" the movie which then plays, or simply 'Save As...' in QuickTime, give it a name and a destination, and it'll save itself as a .mov file.

Mar 16, 2008 7:24 AM in response to lifelongmacuser

Does anyone know of a way to record any of the OS X screensavers as a movie file?

If you are referring to the slideshow screen savers like "Cosmos," simply use the context menu to open the slideSaver package, open the "Resource" folder, and drop-import the collection of JPG images to an iMovie '08 project. Now you can apply your own Ken Burns Effects and export for your particular target use in whatever compression format you desire.

User uploaded file

Mar 16, 2008 7:24 PM in response to lifelongmacuser

Thanks to all for the replies - let me clarify exactly what I'm trying to do

I love the new mosaic view of photos in the OS 10.5 screensaver. I am putting together a presentation for a local organization, and want to be able to include an animated photo mosaic exactly like what the screensaver does. I've tried freeware programs that are specifically photo mosaics, but none of them (that I've found) animate it, or can export that animation as a movie file. So, I'm now looking for a way to record the screensaver. I tried Copernicus and Capture Me, but they both make movies that are so choppy (maybe b/c the computer's busy creating the mosaic?) that they are unusable.

I am just curious if there is any way to record that photo mosaic screensaver...

Mar 17, 2008 6:59 AM in response to lifelongmacuser

I am just curious if there is any way to record that photo mosaic screensaver...

Thanks for the update... Although I am still unsure whether you are referring to the mosaic created by dropping individual photos or the mosaic that evolves into the next photo. Be that as it may, the process is the same. In this case, as David previously mentioned, your best bet is to use on of the "screen capture" applications since it does not fit the scenario described earlier.
CLICK HERE TO SEE A SAMPLE CAPTURE
As you did not provide specifics as to target requirements, I captured my full 1680x1050 display screen and scaled it to 50% for the sample above. Since I am using an original PPC G5 2.0 platform, my frame rate for a display this size was limited to a maximum in 16-17 fps range, so I elected to capture at 15 fps. (You should be able to better on your machine if you want.) In any event, there should be a number of screen capture applications on the market if you search around. Like David, I tend to stick with Snapz ProX from Ambrosia as I have been using it for a number of years and it has served me well over that period.

User uploaded file

Mar 17, 2008 12:57 PM in response to lifelongmacuser

http://homepage.mac.com/kkirkster/.Public/TouchofGrey.qtl
An iTunes "Visualizer" recorded using SnapzProX. The same thing can be done with screen savers.
You can also "import" the images found in some screen savers by opening them using iPhoto (some files are ignored).
Those .qtz (Quartz Composer files) can be opened in QuickTime Pro and exported to "video" if you like a challenge.

how to record screensaver as a movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.