Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emptying ".Trashes" folder

Hi, can anybody tell me how can I empty this bloody folder?

I ran the whatsize software and it tells me the capacity of my disk is 60gb (which is right), that i´m using 5gb (which is also right) and that my available disk space is 30gb (that's the problem)....

So... searching for the missing free space i started up using mac os 9 and found this invisible folder ".Trashes" containing a lot of files i thought i had deleted before... and i don't know how to empty this folder. I even tried emptying it using the Terminal applitcation but it didn't work.

Any help?

iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Mar 15, 2008 8:39 PM

6 replies

Mar 15, 2008 9:27 PM in response to TrentLane

Look at your Trashcan in the Dock. If it's not empty then select Empty Trash from the Finder's Finder menu. If that doesn't work then open the Terminal application and enter or paste the following:

sudo rm -rf /.Trashes/*
Press RETURN. You will be asked to enter your admin password which will not be echoed.

Mar 16, 2008 9:08 AM in response to Kappy

Yes. I started up using Mac os 9, opened the old iTunes (of mac os 9), and in the library i found all these mp3 files that i can still play, but when i ask to see the song file, it tells me it can't be done because the file is in a invisible folder. However, i can see the file location, which is "Macintosh HD:.Trashes:501:iTunes:iTunes Music:.....". As i can't see none of that in mac os x i'm guessing i have to delete these files in mac os 9, but don't know how to.

Emptying ".Trashes" folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.