Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto & Time Machine

Hi
I've just copied several hundred photos to another machine and then I deleted the events from iPhoto. Then I realised that I needed the Event titles so I went into Time Machine and found that it restores the photos but not the event titles.
Is there any way of retrieving the titles?
Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 16, 2008 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2008 6:19 PM

I am not using Time Machine but have you tried going to the File menu in iPhoto and using the browse backup command?

LN
10 replies

Mar 24, 2008 3:41 PM in response to ThomDennis

Backup is an entirely different program and has nothing to do with time machine - you originally said you were using time machine and now are complaining about backup - which are you using?

LN

PS - this is a HELP forum, not a complaint forum - if you want assistance there are lots of experienced users here who are happy to try to help you - NO ONE HERE is interested in your rants or your opinion about products - especially when you are not even capable of determining what product you are using

AND discussion Apple policies (like withdrawing products or not) is EXPRESSLY prohibited by the terms of use

2. - Submissions
Stay on topic. Apple Discussions is here to help people use Apple products and technologies more effectively. Unless otherwise noted, do not add Submissions about nontechnical topics, including:
Speculations or rumors about unannounced products.
Discussions of Apple policies or procedures or speculation on Apple decisions.

Mar 24, 2008 4:39 PM in response to ThomDennis

If you want to get the titles back then restore the entire iPhoto library from a point in time just before you deleted the photos. That will get you back the titles.

User uploaded file

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 08 libraries and Leopard. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

Apr 20, 2008 12:24 PM in response to aubiem

Go to the pictures folder, click on the library and activate Time Machine. Then go back in TM to a time just before you deleted the pictures, select the library in the window and click on the Restore button in the lower right of the screen. That will replace your current library with the backup of that date and time. Be sure you haven't imported any photos between the time of the backup being restored and your current library as they will be lost.

OT

May 13, 2008 7:32 PM in response to ThomDennis

Sure, just drag the newly imported photos to a folder on your desktop. Then, after restoring your iPhotoLibrary to the point before you deleted the other photos you want recovered, reimport the folder of new photos. You will have to retitle them, but probably there are just a few of them, and at least you will have all of them in your library.

iPhoto & Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.