Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reselling Mac purchased under EDU Discount program

I was reading this thread (now locked) with interest. In particular, this statement caught my eye:

The educational discount program is instituted by Apple so that students (and the people who educate them) get a break on the pricing for equipment needed in the modern educational system.
If you get the computer he buys with that discount and you are not a student its fraud.

I would tend to agree with that. But here's my problem. I am an eligible education user and bought an eMac three years ago. I bought it under the edu discount program and received the discount.

Now I am thinking about replacing it with a new iMac. Problem is, what do I do with the eMac when I want to get rid of it? Do I have to ensure that I resell it only to somebody else who is an eligible edu user, and if I don't then I am committing a fraud? That does seem to be the case according to the agreement and with the advice given in the thread I linked above.

Same thing goes for Leopard and iLife 08, which I bought under the edu discount program. When I buy a new Mac, those will be included so I won't need my retail versions anymore. How to I resell them? Do I have to ensure that I sell them only to a qualified edu user?

Help?

eMac (1.25GHz USB 2.0), 768MB, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2008 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2008 2:07 PM

Hi Király,

I don't think so! I think this policy is only valid when you first buy this new computer (eMac). Once you bought it legally and you didn't broke any Apple's policy, you're totally free to sell it to anyone you want to.

It's only considered fraud, when someone (who's not a student) buys a computer via other person.

In your case there's no problem, believe me!
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2008 2:07 PM in response to Király

Hi Király,

I don't think so! I think this policy is only valid when you first buy this new computer (eMac). Once you bought it legally and you didn't broke any Apple's policy, you're totally free to sell it to anyone you want to.

It's only considered fraud, when someone (who's not a student) buys a computer via other person.

In your case there's no problem, believe me!

Mar 17, 2008 8:11 PM in response to Sagesse

Three years later you want to sell. I can't see Apple making you hold to this computer for ever.

Your best bet is to either check with either Apple or a school bookstore to what is the proper length of time you need to hold onto this computer before you can sell it.

Me, I don't think your violating any terms or agreements.

I think your intent was there to use it as you did...and you did.

Mar 18, 2008 10:42 PM in response to Király

I have often found it odd that companies will charge different prices depending upon your age, educational status, sex, or other factors.

I have seen millionaire senior citizens receive a discount, while the young married couple who is broke, pays full price. (I am not referring to Apple in the above example.)

I'm not complaining, Apple (and other companies) have the right to give people a discount if they are between 5' 10" and 5' 11" tall if they want to. I just don't get it.

Mar 19, 2008 10:51 AM in response to Király

Hi Király,

Wish I had seen your post earlier.

You have nothing to fear with regard to re-selling your educational discounted Apple Mac.

The only criteria that Apple imposes for educational discount are that you qualify as per their terms which are listed here:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html

One could, for example, purchase a Mac via the educational discount scheme and sell it the very next day. As you may be aware, as far as Apple Mac computers are concerned, only one can be purchased through the educational discount scheme per academic year. So if the computer were to be immediately sold another one could not be bought with educational discount until the following academic year.

Intent does not come into it. Once the computer is bought, either discounted or not, it's yours to do with as you wish - use it, resell it, drop it off the top of the Empire State Building, go deep sea scuba diving with it... whatever.

Kryten

Mar 20, 2008 8:19 AM in response to -Kryten-

Intent does not come into it. Once the computer is bought, either discounted or not, it's yours to do with as you wish - use it, resell it . . . .

You know, at first I thought the same thing, but then, when I went to the Apple Education Store, right after selecting a school near me, I was asked to "review and accept" the terms and conditions set forth in a "Shopping Agreement," the last paragraph os which reads:

Statement of Eligibility
I represent that I am a member of one of the defined groups above, eligible to purchase _and that the products being purchased direct from Apple Inc. are for my own personal, education, and/or research use_.

The text underscored above taken from the Shopping Agreement would appear to impose at least to some degree an intent factor in the eligibility analysis. But, as has already been raised, the next question becomes just how long must this intent be sustained. The likely answer, from a practical if not from a philophical standpoint, would be that it is only one's intent at the time of purchase that matters. Once the purchase was made, in good faith, for one's own personal, educational and/or research use, it would seem all bets are off.

Mar 20, 2008 8:52 AM in response to JDee

Hi JDee,

Once the purchase was made, in good faith, for one's own personal, educational and/or research use, it would seem all bets are off.

Allow me to give a real life example which, I suspect, can be quite common.

My eldest son who is currently at University has a 17" MacBook Pro. He originally bought, with money that I gave him, a 15" MacBook Pro via the Educational discount scheme. Via a series of "fortunate" accidents I received an additional 17" MacBook Pro so he passed the 15 inch one to my youngest and uses the 17" flavour. Now, I am fortunate to be in a financial position to be able to afford to buy him whatever he needs for his University; or at least provide him with the funds so that he can buy them himself.

One of his close friends at Uni is not in that fortunate financial position and neither are his parents. He would also ideally like to have a MacBook Pro but his budget would only stretch to a MacBook. No problem. Recently though, via the unfortunate death of his grandfather, he inherited a nice sum of money. As soon as he is eligible again for an Educational discount he will sell his MacBook, which is only currently two months old, and buy a MacBook Pro.

Another example could be if a student or teacher purchase an Apple computer and then financial circumstances change requiring them to sell it in order to pay bills.

The rules, in my opinion, are there to prevent dodgy "businessmen" from buying via the educational discount scheme and then reselling at full retail price. However, if a student/teacher are in a position to buy the latest and greatest Apple computer once every year, provided they meet the educational discount criteria, there's nothing to stop them from buying, selling and then re-purchasing again in the next academic year.

Kryten

Reselling Mac purchased under EDU Discount program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.