Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory allocation for Windows Vista

I have partitioned my drive for Windows Vista and I am up and running with VMware fusion. The question is I have a mac pro and an imac both running the same setup. One computer has 1gb RAM and the other 2gb RAM. On both computers, the windows vista OS states that there is only 512mb RAM being used. Is this accurate? And, if so, is there a way to allocate more memory to windows?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9), 3 Ghz Dual

Posted on Mar 18, 2008 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2008 10:27 PM

Hi,

the amount of RAM used for by Windows is set when creating the Virtual Machine in Fusion.
The default amount is indeed 512MB, so if you haven't changed that then only 512Mb will be used by the Fuison Virtual Machine.

If I remember correctly you can edit this amount later on to give the Windows VM more RAM.
Have a look into the Fusion manual on how to do this exactly.

Regards

Stefan
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2008 10:27 PM in response to finalmomentman

Hi,

the amount of RAM used for by Windows is set when creating the Virtual Machine in Fusion.
The default amount is indeed 512MB, so if you haven't changed that then only 512Mb will be used by the Fuison Virtual Machine.

If I remember correctly you can edit this amount later on to give the Windows VM more RAM.
Have a look into the Fusion manual on how to do this exactly.

Regards

Stefan

Memory allocation for Windows Vista

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.