Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Digital Voice Recorder

I purchased a Sony Digital Voice Recorder, planning to use it as an additional audio source when i video weddings and other special events. I knew it did not come with software that was Mac friendly. Do I need to upgrade this unit to a different Sony product that will work with Macs, or does someone know how I can transfer the audio files to my laptop? I know I could probably use the headphone jack on the voice recorder, but I was wanting to move the audio as a file.

powerbook g4, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Mar 19, 2008 10:53 PM

11 replies

Mar 19, 2008 11:05 PM in response to Community User

What is the model of the recorder? Does it have a USB port? How would you connect the unit to a PC? If it records to CF cards, just get a card reader. I can't imagine it records an audio file not recognized by your Mac. Then again, Sony has a reputation of creating custom formats.

Might want to make sure you can record 16-bit/48Khz audio.... that is the safest sampling rate when working with most editing apps.

Mike

Mar 20, 2008 6:00 PM in response to Mike Bisom1

It is a Sony ICDP520 and it does use USB. However, there is no card or anything removable that it records onto. I did record something and then plugged it into my laptop, but nothing showed up on my desktop. Sony does have a unit that is more expensive that shows it is Mac compatible. It came with Windows-only software.

Mar 20, 2008 6:55 PM in response to Community User

Well, it seems this is a discontinued unit. The specifications don't tell us what format it records in and that isn't good news. On top of that, in the Highest Quality Mode, it records it records 7.25 hours on 256mb of internal memory. This means these audio files a VERY compressed. So much so that I wouldn't consider it to useful as a back up audio source. All that said, it doesn't look like it will work with the Mac.

Sorry,
Mike

Mar 21, 2008 8:49 AM in response to Community User

To match the DV specification, you want something that records a lossless file: WAV, PCM, AIFF. Ideally, you would have a choice of sampling rates but the DV sampling rate is 48Khz/16-bit. Other sampling rates have sometime led to a loss of sync on long format sequences. I know the Zoom is a popular unit but I have not used one. We use a Roland R4.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku= 445854&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/356881-REG/EdirolRoland_R4_R_4_4_ChannelPortable.html

Mike

Mar 22, 2008 8:29 AM in response to Mike Bisom1

OK, thanks for your help. I have heard several timers from wedding videographers that they like this little machine, but I must have not purchased the correct model. I guess I was in a bit of a rush and didn't do enough homework.

Mar 22, 2008 11:26 AM in response to Community User

You'd have to play the audio out of the Sony's headphone jack, and capture it on your Mac with Audacity, or something similar.

B&H's site says "..The recorder is also fully compatible with the popular Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred Voice to Print Software which allows you to convert your speech into text, letting you give virtual dictation to your computer.." ..so you could try that - though Dragon NS (..Mac version, if you can still find it..) may cost a bit too much for what you want.

Ah, no; you want to hear it, not print it, eh?

I think I did find an app which can read the Sony's compressed output.. but I won't be able to hunt for it till Monday, I'm afraid. I'll post back on Tuesday to say whether I've found it or not.

Mar 23, 2008 4:28 AM in response to Community User

"..the Sony ICD-UX80.."

A much better choice, as that records in MP3 format, and - as Sony's site says - "..Simple drag & drop file transfer to PC without any PC software. Windows and Macintosh compatible..."

You'd probably need to get a decent mic to plug into it, though, especially if you're doing weddings, as anything further away from it than, say, 8 feet may sound a little indistinct. A reasonable "shotgun" mic should do the job.

I use an (obsolete) teeny Sony postage-stamp-size digital tape machine - can't find a picture of it on the web, sorry - or a DAT recorder..
User uploaded file
..or mini-disc recorder to record "wild" sound at weddings ..choir singing, or wedding vows, etc.. which I can edit into the final mix.

For overall "ambience" audio I use a small Vivanco stereo tie-clip mic, sitting somewhere near the rear of the church/synagogue/temple/whatever to get the sound of everyone/choir/organist making music (..the Vivanco has astonishingly good bass and overall "feel"..) and for wedding vows I use a gun mic attached to the recorder, to get "close up" audio of the bride and groom several feet away.

(..Ah; found a picture of it: not to the same scale as the DAT recorder, above!..
User uploaded file

..here on the page of the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics!.. it gives truly impressive audio, like a 7.5 inches-per-sec stereo tape machine, but runs off a 1.5v AA cell, with tapes just a bit bigger than your thumbnail..)

Digital Voice Recorder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.