Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot delete old AIM account from iChat

Hello. I recently migrated from my Mini to a new Macbook. I used the migration assistant to carry my account over. Now that i have an iSight, I was going to give iChat a try.

At this time I only want to use it over Bonjour with a friend of mine. However, i noticed an old AIM account was in the list. I haven't used it in forever, and I assume the account was carried from my Mini.

However, if I delete the AIM entry from the list (either with Delete or the [-] button), the next time I go into iChat, the entry has re-created itself. If I edit it, it will stay changed. Then if i delete it, the original information is repopulated.

I have deleted what I believe to be all the preference files for ichat, but I could be wrong. At least no pref files are showing up in Spotlight searches. I don't have any settings that can't be easily recreated in iChat so dont worry about trying to save something else. Does anybody have an idea on how to get rid of that account??

Macbook (2.4 Ghz), Mac OS X (10.5.2), 13in, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 8x DL-Superdrive

Posted on Mar 20, 2008 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2008 4:22 PM

Hi,

.plists you have to manually look for as Spotlight will not search them.

With the item deleted in iChat but iChat not shut down delete com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist and then restart iChat

Also go to the KeyChain Access in Applications/Utilities and delete the entry for the AIM name.

User uploaded file

11:22 PM Friday; March 21, 2008
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2008 4:22 PM in response to Theo Lotz

Hi,

.plists you have to manually look for as Spotlight will not search them.

With the item deleted in iChat but iChat not shut down delete com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist and then restart iChat

Also go to the KeyChain Access in Applications/Utilities and delete the entry for the AIM name.

User uploaded file

11:22 PM Friday; March 21, 2008

Cannot delete old AIM account from iChat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.