Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to Wireless Network

I have a iMac G4 without an AirPort card. I have an existing wireless network with non-Apple wireless router (Netgear). My iMac is currently connected directly to the router, but I would like to move it to another location and use a wireless connection. Can anyone help me understand what hardware I need for this. Obviously my Netgear USB wireless adaptor does not work.

Thanks. Charlie.

Posted on Sep 25, 2005 7:27 PM

4 replies

Sep 26, 2005 5:37 AM in response to banth

Well, as far as I know, I Mac G4 are airport enabled. I am however not sure if all G4 are.

The softwares can be downloaded from the Mac website or updated throught system update.

Probably a good idea to give Apple Store a call as they will be able to let you know through your IMac serial number whether or not it can support Airport cards.

Good Luck
Ben

Sep 26, 2005 8:28 AM in response to banth

All G4 iMacs are "Airport Ready".

The real issue - with the exception of the last two G4 iMac models which use the Airport Extreme card, all older G4 iMacs require the original Airport card. See the table at:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86258

The original Airport card is no longer manufactured or sold by Apple or it dealers. Only a few retailers still sell this card, and the current cost from them averages around $150. Ebay is now the best and lowest cost source.

As an alternative to getting an Airport card, I recommend use of a wireless bridge device like the Linksys WET54G.

Connecting to Wireless Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.