Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone & Flash Player

Does anyone have flash player on their iPhone? Some sites that I go to require flash player. A link pops up to download it, but I get a message saying safari cant download file. One of the sites in question is espn.com

Dell

Posted on Mar 23, 2008 8:21 PM

12 replies

Mar 23, 2008 9:03 PM in response to stanhicks

I believe Adobe indicated they will be providing a Flash-plugin for Safari on the iPhone as a result of the SDK, but later retracted this. Apple must approve whatever Adobe comes up with. Apple indicated the Flash-lite plugin (currently available for some mobile phones) isn't adequate or worth having, and the full version has some problems for the iPhone - a resource hog or whatever.

Mar 24, 2008 9:24 AM in response to clarkkent26

It is a matter of Software License Agreement. Microsoft just licensed Flash from Adobe and it is including Flash in its Windows Mobile 6 for mobile devices. Actually, currently, Flash is installed in some mobile devices and it works find.

Apparently, Apple refuses to pay Adobe for the license and it is making excuses that it is not adequate. Adobe is very willing to develop a version of Flash for the iPhone, but Apple is so "CASH POOR" that it can't pay for the license!!
Meanwhile, we the customers must accept what our lords and masters at Apple didcate. That is a lot to say about customers service and satisfaction.

Mar 24, 2008 9:36 AM in response to Munther

One word - BALONEY.

Adobe gets the vast majority of their money from website developers that use Flash to provide content along with all those crappy ads.

Apple is licensing ActiveSync from Microslop for the iPhone so there is no problem there.

I believe Winblows Mobile is going with a Flash-Lite version which is not a full version, and not worth having/using IMO, and in Apple's opinion. Adobe needs to develop a full version for the iPhone which isn't a resource hog.

"CASH POOR"? You know not what you speak.

Mar 24, 2008 11:21 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Allan,

The "Cash Poor" comment was sarcasim, but apparently it went over your head.

Adobe is begging to work with Apple to develop a Flash version for the iPhone but Apple has given them the cold shoulder, and this is a FACT! Why don't you check your sources and facts before you write your "One word - BALONEY". Before passing judgement, why don't you first experience a device with Flash and see how well or not well it works!

Pushing Apple, as well as Adobe, to work together to develop solutions that serve the customers is much better than taking arrogant self-serving positions by either party. This is what is required from all of us rather than defending and kissing Apple's ***! This is how technology progresses.

Mar 24, 2008 11:41 AM in response to Munther

Adobe is begging to work with Apple to develop a Flash version for the iPhone but Apple has given them the cold shoulder, and this is a FACT!

That is not a "fact". We know nothing about what the relationship of the two companies truly is or has been vis-a-vis Flash on the iPhone. All that is known is that 1) Steve Jobs said that Flash Lite is inadequate for what most people expect from Flash and the workstation version of Flash is too resource intensive, and 2) that Shantanu Narayen from Adobe aid that they were working on a version of Flash for the iPhone but that Apple and Adobe would have to work closely together to get Flash onto the iPhone. Anything anyone says beyond that is at this point completely speculation, guesswork and rumor.

Pushing Apple and Adobe to work together is fine. Offering guesswork to the reasons why Flash is not yet on the iPhone and presenting those guesses as fact does everyone a disservice. Let's please dial down the rhetoric and complaints. The Discussions are for technical support on existing products; let's please try to keep them oriented that way.

Meanwhile, we the customers must accept what our lords and masters at Apple didcate.

No, you don't have to accept anything Apple says or does. You have the complete freedom to buy whatever product suits your needs, if an iPhone lacks a feature you feel important to how you wish your phone to operate.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

Mar 24, 2008 11:53 AM in response to Munther

The point being, you said this has everything to do with Apple refusing to pay Adobe for the license agreement, and Apple is making excuses that aren't true because they don't want to pay Adobe - which baloney refers to and which apparently went over your head. You can't know this from some "source" on the internet.

When I pay for something, I expect to get what I'm after. I think Apple is saying, we will pay for it if it includes or is capable of this. Nothing wrong with that IMO. If the iPhone did not include my needs and wants, I would not have purchased one.

MS has licensed a newer Flash-Lite version which is not a full version and has limitations compared to the full version - but it obviously meets MS's needs and wants or what they consider adequate for devices that run Windows Mobile.

Adobe has announced they have acquired the iPhone SDK and are working on a version for the iPhone.

Apple has stated the full Flash version runs too slow on an iPhone to be useful, and they want something in-between what is capable with a Flash-Lite version and the full version - or more towards the full version that will run adequately.

This sounds more reasonable to me than Apple's only reason for not wanting a Flash-Lite version for the iPhone is because they just don't want to pay Adobe for the license agreement - regardless the internet source.

I'm confident something will come out of this at some point.

Message was edited by: Allan Sampson

iPhone & Flash Player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.