Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Administrator Listen to Remote Audio ?

Intend to set up ARD V3.2.1 in a High School Video Production classroom with 30 2.4 GHz Intel iMacs. Can the teacher monitor each computer's audio at his Administrator's computer ?
I can not receive remote iTunes audio from my Admin computer in my test lab of 10 computers.
If not presently available then recommend this option for a future software update.
I found nothing on this subject from a Search of this Forum.

iMac AL24" 2.8GHz 4Gig, MBP17" 2.4GHz 4Gig,G5 Quad 2.5GHz 6.5 Gigs RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Apple Cinema - 30"/23"/20"

Posted on Mar 23, 2008 11:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2008 7:58 AM

Sorry but no. ARD cannot transfer audio to the admin computer.

You can suggest this as a requested feature through the feedback pages (there's one for ARD). But given that Apple uses the VNC protocol for screen sharing, it's unlikely to happen; VNC doesn't support audio, so Apple would have to engineer a completely new method for screen sharing. I don't believe that even Timbuktu supports audio sharing, though it could be in there and I just can't find mention on Netopia's web site.

Regards.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2008 7:58 AM in response to Tom Johnson

Sorry but no. ARD cannot transfer audio to the admin computer.

You can suggest this as a requested feature through the feedback pages (there's one for ARD). But given that Apple uses the VNC protocol for screen sharing, it's unlikely to happen; VNC doesn't support audio, so Apple would have to engineer a completely new method for screen sharing. I don't believe that even Timbuktu supports audio sharing, though it could be in there and I just can't find mention on Netopia's web site.

Regards.

Mar 25, 2008 9:43 AM in response to varjak paw

“It's impossible” - That is what the computer makers, NASA and the NSA were saying a few years ago.
Now we have 45 nanometer (0.0000018 inch) quad core processors.
Impossible goals only take a very smart group of people a little longer to attain.
This coming from someone who started out in computers in 1960 and has witnessed many seemingly impossible problems overcome.

Mar 25, 2008 9:49 AM in response to Tom Johnson

I didn't say it was impossible to do. What I said was that ARD cannot do it as of today and that it is highly unlikely that Apple would add such a feature to ARD in the foreseeable future. It would require major re-engineering of the protocol ARD uses for observation and control and Apple is unlikely to see a reasonable business case for such an investment. Sorry if you don't seem to like the answers your getting here, but it's the state of things as of right now. You have the link to post feedback to Apple through which to submit your comment; perhaps at some point they'll decide that adding audio sharing will be worth the effort, though I wouldn't suggest that you expect it anytime soon.

Mar 30, 2008 4:00 PM in response to Tom Johnson

Airfoil does not work with ARD, per se, in that ARD isn't involved other than giving you the ability to control the workstation to turn on Airfoil. It could stream the audio on one workstation to a player such as QuickTime Player on another, with or without ARD. It's not something that ARD will trigger unless you take manual control of the applicable workstation and turn Airfoil on and off from your admin station.

I'm not sure, though, that you really want thirty systems all streaming across your network, unless you have a lot of bandwidth to spare. In addition, unless Airfoil has password protection on the streams - it may; I haven't looked into it that deeply - then any of your students could be connecting to each other's streams, something that in my experience could quickly lead to chaos.

Apr 1, 2008 11:00 PM in response to Tom Johnson

Here is a workaround solution to this problem -
For after school hours when you are alone in the classroom reviewing/grading Video Production assignments you can remotely turn up the Controled Client's computer audio volume by using the Client's Sound icon vertical slide on the Menu bar.
This also makes for GREAT surround sound audio of your favorite music from iTunes Radio when played through all of your Controlled Client computers.

Can Administrator Listen to Remote Audio ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.