Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Automator to Convert PDF to JPEG

I'm trying to convert a batch of PDF files to JPEG files using Automator. I'm using the "Render PDF Pages as Images" action but apparently it only creates temporary files AND gives them random names. This command suggests using the "Rename Finder Items" action, but STILL only seems to rename the temporary items.

Why in the world can't I actually SAVE the images and why can't it keep the original filenames? I thought Automator was supposed to SIMPLIFY things?

Thanks

MacBook Pro / Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2008 9:00 AM

12 replies

Jun 2, 2010 9:13 AM in response to JoePro

It seems to be a bug however you can work around it by adding some other actions.

So, in my case this wasn't working:
1) Render PDF as Images
2) Rename sequentially
3) Move finder items

But I can change it to:
1) Render PDF as Images
2) Rename sequentially
3) Open finder Items
4) Move finder items

Or:
1) Render PDF as Images
2) Rename sequentially
3) Scale image
4) Move finder items

The files will then turn up in the destination.

May 28, 2013 7:10 AM in response to mco4684

My automator Application work:

1. Render PDF Pages as Images

2. Files and Folders > Make Sequential

3. Files and Folders > Get Selected Finder Items

4. Files and Folders > Move Finder Items

It works and I get a collection of jpeg images for each page in a PDF file. I get an error "The action Move Finder Items encountered an error." If I take the action out, script doesn't work. I can live with the error though since it doesn't effect the results.

Oct 24, 2013 10:29 AM in response to JoePro

This worked for me:

-Files and Folders > Find Finder Items (I chose a file "BetaPDF")

-Files and Folders > Get Folder Contents

-Render PDF Pages as Images (Setting on JPEG)

-Files and Folders > Move Finder Items (I made a file "Beta jpgs")

I then saved it as an application and I can drag any file I want onto the application and all pdfs convert to jpegs in my "Beta jpgs". It works for me and I don't get errors. I think it was luck mostly and trying a variation from the above comments.

Jul 15, 2014 5:09 PM in response to stevenka

Thank you , so much time saved in the future , I now have a simple 3 step solution to reducing files , your solution worked for me after a couple of attempts , You have to make sure when you save it as an app. the file you were converting is removed and also before dropping new files on top of the app you double click it , at least thats what I found .

Using Automator to Convert PDF to JPEG

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.