Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Total restore

Hi everyone
Good Friday turned out to be a very bad Friday. My four year old powerbook G4's hard drive died !!
and all resuscitation methods have failed. So I hope my bank manager is going to agree that my decision to purchase a new Macbook Air is a good one. Fortunately I had carried out a Time machine backup a few hours before the calamity struck. So my question is, if I run a complete restore from Time Machine will it restore any old data such as Panther and Tiger OS etc ?
Thanks
Macsync

imac & PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2008 9:11 AM

3 replies

Mar 24, 2008 9:16 AM in response to macsync

I have restored TM backups several times. You need to boot up using the install CD and after you've chosen the language, look in the menus - there's a choice of restoring from a TM backup - that's the one you want. Be sure your TM backup drive is attached. When you make the choice, the TM backup will be examined and you will be presented with a list of backup dates you want to restore from - choose the most recent one, unless you have a reason to choose an earlier one.

I'm not sure what you mean by Panther and Tiger - did you have folders in the Leopard backups that included older OSes? Unless they were excluded from TM, these folders should also be part of the restore process.

Mar 24, 2008 9:35 AM in response to pvonk

Hi pvonk

Many thanks for your quick reply,
When I purchased My powerbook G4 it came with Panther OS installed I then updated to tiger and then Leopard at later dates. So will any of these old systems data be part of the restore as I don't want to wast any of my precious new hard drive space ?

Macsync

Total restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.