Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ejecting a DVD - tried everything I could think of or was told

I put in a DVD which must be faulty. DVD Player opened up and started to play the disk. When I tried to eject it, it disappeared from the desktop but did not eject.
I have looked through Disk Utility, but it does not appear there.
Tried shutting down the computer, taking all plugs out and putting back in.
Tried a different keyboard and different mouse.
Tried using Command Option+OF at start up to get to the TYPE command and typing eject dvd.
Got a message that it could not open drive.
Repaired disk permissions using Disk Utility.
I think that what happened was that I must have knocked the keyboard whilst burning the disk but before it reached the lead out. The DVD got mixed up with others later unfortunately.
Any ideas, anyone?

g5 imac, Mac OS X (10.4.9), Power PC

Posted on Mar 24, 2008 3:26 PM

4 replies

Mar 24, 2008 3:55 PM in response to shirley jay

Hi, and a Warm Welcome to the Power Mac G5 Forum!

You may be able to open the drive if you hold down the mouse button on Startup. If this doesn't work, slide down the silver optical drive gate and insert a strong, straightened paper clip in the emergency eject hole shown in Figure 3 here (you don't have to remove the drive)(it is a mechanical release, so you will have to slide the tray out by hand)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88215

Alternative positions for the emergency eject hole are shown in Figure 4.
NB The link is just for illustration - Ignore the 'G4' bit.

If you have an iMac G5...? - skip the above and

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=51008

Good Luck.

Apr 9, 2008 4:30 AM in response to shirley jay

Nothing worked for me, either. My problem was the door in the case (the silvery one which moves up and down) jammed. I pulled it down with my fingers. I held it down. I made certain the CD/DVD player's drawer was completely shut by pushing on it.

[VERY IMPORTANT: hold the case door down gently and in a manner that you can remove your fingers quickly!)

While holding the door in the case down with my fingers, I pushed the eject button on the keyboard. The disc tray opened. That freed everything, which worked after that.

Ejecting a DVD - tried everything I could think of or was told

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.