Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VMware Fusion - Journaled External HDD using MacDrive or NTFS?

I plan to use VMware Fusion running XP Pro via a Bootcamp partition. Along with this I would like a dedicated external HDD for my windows work files (Premiere Pro etc). The trouble is, I'm not sure what way to go with the formatting of the external HDD.

Would I be better to run MacDrive on the Windows system and work off a Journaled format, or NTFS (with something like Paragon on the OS X side)?

I don't want to use FAT32 as I will be working with large video files (<4GB) on the windows side.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

iMac 24" 2.8ghz Extreme, Mac OS X (10.5.1), OS X Server in office

Posted on Mar 26, 2008 2:17 AM

14 replies

Mar 26, 2008 3:10 AM in response to olisones

I'm not really answering your question (sorry), but you can create a virtual hard drive from within VMware's interface. The file for the virtual hard drive can reside anywhere, including your external drive. It will start out small and grow up to the max size you specify when you create it. On the Windows side, it looks like a regular hard drive. In my case, my second drive mounts as the "E:" drive.

I find this useful, because the virtual drive does not take up my whole external drive. And the external drive can be formatted for Mac (HFS+) while Windows XP thinks the second drive is formatted for NTFS. In my case, the file for the virtual drive resides on an external drive that I uses for other Mac things.

Now, if you want to share data from both the Mac and Windows sides, instead of using a virtual hard drive (or a real hard drive), you can use WMware's Shared Folders feature to map a share point on the Mac side as a network drive on the Windows side. In my case, I have a folder in my Mac OS X user Documents folder mapped to drive Z: in Windows. Since it's not really going over a network, it is fast.

So if I use this drive in Windows, the files are immediately available in Mac OS X. If you access that folder in Mac OS X, the changes are immediately available in Windows. I can probably go the other way and connect from the Mac side to a share point on the Windows side, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Mar 28, 2008 8:10 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Thanks for your ideas.

The only problem I might have with that is that I will already have a HDD with data (video projects etc) that I want to add to the Windows side of things. This HDD can be formatted to whatever is needed - it's just that I'm at a loss to what the best path is!

I have a feeling your method maybe slightly unstable with large amount of data (especially as a fake NTFS drive) but I hope you can tel me otherwise!

Mar 28, 2008 8:55 AM in response to olisones

All things being equal, you'll probably want to use the filesystem that is native to whatever platform you intend to use most with it. If you intend to use XP most of the time, NTFS is a decent choice, otherwise, use Mac's HFS+ Journaled. There are a few other considerations: you can't mark executable files stored on NTFS -- but that's only a concern if you want to install apps and utilities on there. Journaling is perhaps not so important on video data as it is the editing project file itself. Video data you tend to not alter during NLE, just make temporary renders of frames.

You might also consider Premiere on the Mac it that's all you're doing. Going that route will provide you both with better performance (no Windows memory fragmentation), and you don't have to deal with the added complexity of BootCamp, or reduced performance of a virtual machine.

Mar 28, 2008 8:59 AM in response to olisones

I would try what I mentioned in the second half of the post.

Format that external HHD for Mac and mount it normally for Mac. Using VMware's Share Folders feature (set up in Settings for the virtual machine), make the entire external HHD a "shared folder." Then, in Windows, map that shared folder (the whole external HHD) as a network drive. It's not really going over a network, so speed is not an issue.

Whether you access it from the Windows side or Mac side, it's the same place. And you don't need special software, other than VMware's existing features.

Mar 28, 2008 9:10 AM in response to J D McIninch

The only reason I'm installing Windows, is that I currently have Premiere Pro projects saved as CS2 versions on Windows and have read that these are not compatible with the CS3 Premiere Pro. Hence keeping thee projects as CS2 Windows files and editing them in Windows - otherwise I would just use OS X as my only OS.

Unless there is a way to save the CS2 files on Windows as CS3 files for Mac, I don't have too many other options!

Apr 2, 2008 10:48 AM in response to olisones

Following up on this post, I decided to format my drives for Mac - but now I am having a problem seeing those drives whilst using MacDrive on my Windows partition.

I am running VMWare Fusion on a Bootcamp partition, but even though the external drives are connected, I cannot see them in Windows. I have even unmounted them from OS X but still no luck.

Is this a problem with Fusion? Or with Mac Drive?

Cheers!

Apr 3, 2008 3:13 AM in response to olisones

You can make it work, using the Shared Folder feature of VMware Fusion. And you don't even need that MacDrive thing. To me, it seems like a better solution.

With the virtual machine not running, click the Settings button. In the Settings window, click the plus sign at the bottom of the left sidebar. Select +Add Shared Folder...+

Check Enabled and give it a Name (like the name of the external drive in this case).

For path, select Choose... Navigate to select your entire external drive as your Shared Folder.

Start up Windows. Open My Computer, and use +Map Network Drive+ under the Tools menu. That Shared Folder you defined earlier should be accessible for mapping. Seems like this would be the same as connecting it as a regular hard drive. There should not be a speed issue, because it's not really going over a network.

I suggested this already in my previous replies, but since you did not say it won't work for your purposes, I thought I'd try one more time. You are NOT creating a virtual hard drive disk image. Your data is going directly to your real hard drive, just getting there a bit differently. From the Mac side, it's just a plain old FireWire drive connected directly.

Apr 3, 2008 3:30 AM in response to olisones

When I do +Map Network Drive+ and click on Browse, the Browse for Folder window pops up. In that window, I see +My Network Places+. Under that is +Entire Network+. Clicking the plus sign gives me (among other things) +VMware Shared Folders+. Clicking the plus signs down through a few levels shows me the Shared Folders I have defined.

For this to work, you must have installed VMware Tools on the Windows side. If you did not, you get a reminder along the bottom of the Windows screen, so I assume you have.

May 4, 2008 4:06 AM in response to olisones

Hi guys,

I'm pretty much in the same situation than the topic starter.

I've a NTFS bootcamp partition on my Mini, running XPsp2.

I've installed MacDrive7 on the Win-side, and ParagonNTFS on the OSX-side, so basically I can access every drive from every OS.

Plus, I've an external mac-formatted drive connected via USB.

Now, while everything goes smooth and cool with native bootcamping, I just fail to re-activate MacDrive in Fusion. Program stay activated re-entering in Bootcamp though (thanks to VMWare Tools?).

Any suggestion?

May 22, 2008 12:18 PM in response to olisones

My company purchased me a FireWire Seagate FreeAgent Pro 1TB external drive. I partitioned the external drive into a 500GB HFS+ and 500GB NTFS. I was using it solely when I was booting up into Bootcamp directly, but recently I finally got my licensed copy of VMWare Fusion 1.2.

I was shocked that the disk did not appear when I booted up into Windows. With hours of looking I did not like the idea of setting up a Shared Folder. I tried using the shared folder like this thread stated and since I was using a NTFS partition it was read only when I tried to write to it inside windows. I was not interested in installing a 3rd party tool that would provide NTFS support to OS X.

I wanted to use the drive as an actual drive inside VMWare.

I stumbled across on how you can! I wish VMWare would add this to their settings UI, but I guess this will do for now.

Here is the solution that I found on VMWare's community forum that gives a step by step instructions on using VMWare's rawdiskCreator command line tool.
*Link to thread:* [http://communities.vmware.com/message/951830#951830]

Afterwards my external firewire SeagatePC partition showed up in My Computer and Seagate's Autobackup worked with no problems.
!http://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-951830-2671/E xternalDriveMounted.jpg!

VMware Fusion - Journaled External HDD using MacDrive or NTFS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.