Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full system restore and future time machine backups.

I have had to do a full system restore from a time machine backup 2 different times. The restore went well. When I tried to continue on with time machine backups after the full restore, it wouldn't work. It said It was preparing and did nothing else. Each time I had to delete the original time machine backup and start from scratch with a new time machine initial backup. Why won't it just continue on with the existing backup that I did the full restore from? Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some thing else I should be doing?

Posted on Mar 27, 2008 12:20 AM

3 replies

Jun 12, 2008 12:58 AM in response to Montrose

I'm having the same problem. I swapped my Macbook's internal HDD with a bigger one and i did a full system restore from my Time Machine disk. The process was ok and the new system is working right as it was before.

But now, when i plug the Time Machine disk it stays for long minutes in "preparing" and then when it starts backupping it does so at a speed of about 2kb per minute.

I run a disk check and the external HDD is ok, i'm sure the USB cables are working properly, but Time Machine became unusable.

And i noticed (after the restore) the appearence of a private>tempVM>something... folder in my Time Machine HDD.

Any suggestion? I'd rather not wipe out the TM disk, i've got months of backup in it...

Jun 12, 2008 6:44 AM in response to Montrose

Hello Montrose:

How long did you wait before stopping TM in the preparing phase? I suspect it would have eventually continued. However, to be honest, I have had to erase my external HD and begin new TM backups on two occasions since I installed OS X 10.5. I have a bootable clone on the external HD as well (in a separate partition) so I was not particularly concerned.

Barry

Full system restore and future time machine backups.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.