3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2008 6:12 PM by Mat Tonge
Mat Tonge Level 1 (0 points)
Having located the movies folder - I have created alias's for my movie folders on my external hard drive. However some of the these movies play perfectly well and some do not.
Also when I drag an mpeg movie into the folder to play in Front row - the sound comes through fine but without any picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers

Mac OS X (10.4.4)
  • Groobs Level 1 (35 points)
    It is all about the codecs used in within the movie files, quite often even though files are named .avi or .mpg they are not of the same format as the codecs used to rip the files are different.

Alas there are hundreds of variations so therefore your best bet is to get add ons like Perian or Flip4Mac which add various codecs to Quicktime.
  • Douglas McLaughlin Level 9 (63,745 points)
    ...quite often even though files are named .avi or .mpg they are not of the same format as the codecs used to rip the files are different.

An ".avi" file is just a container. The audio and/or video inside the container can be any of hundreds of codecs. Perian is a good addition to QuickTime to add quite a few codecs to QuickTime and, therefore, Front Row.

-Doug
  • Mat Tonge Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks - the Flip for Mac download has helped

Cheers