6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2008 5:59 AM by riseroo
themonkman Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I have this aggravating problem with the "Login Items" list on 10.5.2. I migrated my account from an old Mac to my new Macbook. When I go to "Accounts" in System Preferences and try to click the "Login Items" button for my account, System Preferences just locks up. I've even tried deleting my "com.apple.loginitems.plist" to try to get rid of my old login items (consists of just a couple shared network drives) but it just magically reappears with all the original data as soon as I delete it. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? It doesn't occur with any other accounts I have on this machine.

I'd also like to add that I've even tried manually editing the com.apple.loginitems.plist with Property list editor to remove out any of my old login items to try to fix this problem. Even though I've made the changes, saved it, verified it, and even restarted my computer, the same settings keep coming back. Do these settings get cached and restored from somewhere? I'm going crazy over this because I can't add any new login items manually because of this issue.

Thanks!

Andy

Message was edited by: themonkman

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD
  • Abble Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)
    You could try removing com.apple.systempreferences.plist
    This may stop the freezing so you can delete this items.
  • DevCom Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Is this bug ever going to get fixed???? We need to be able to add/remove login items for our users. Yet, this bug hasn't been fixed in 2 service releases? Apple, are you kidding? This is a glaring bug, esp for users in AD environments!!!!
  • riseroo Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    I am experiencing the same issue.

We are in a Windows/AD environment with a few lone Macs. I can't get the login items to launch when logged in as a network user. If I click on the Login Items button as a network user, system preferences dialog box completely freezes up so that I have to quit it.

If anyone knows of a fix, please let us know. Thnx so much. rroo ;-)~

Mac specs:
    MacIntel, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    SATA 250 Gig
  • ReLeaf Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I am also experiencing the same issue. The ability to specify login items in 10.4 was such useful feature because I would set my machine up to start up 10 minutes before I got to work in the morning so that when I got there, all my apps were running. The only way I've been able to specify login items has been to add them to my dock, control-click and then select Open at Login. The down side to that tactic is that you don't get the option to hide the application after it starts up. As a consequence, all my applications clutter up my desktop every morning.

It seems odd that Apple hasn't addressed this issue yet. Let's all keep our fingers crossed for an update soon!
  • kfridge Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I have been experiencing this problem too...I was wanting to edit the list of login items but every time I go into the Login Items tab the accounts dialogue freezes...I presume that there isn't a fix/solution out there yet?
  • riseroo Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Installed 10.5.3 - tested with network managed user. Login Items work fine at my end. Yeah....