Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iTunes Library File cannot be saved. You do not have enough access priv

The iTunes Library File cannot be saved. You do not have enough access privileges for this operation.

The error will not go away. I've been an iTunes user for probably 5 years, 2 of them on this computer and I've never had a problem.

I've search for 2 hours on this forum and Google for an answer, but none come up.

What gives? Why can I no longer save my Library? I have everything manually setup, so redoing the library is simply not an option. I have 60 gigs of music, 7,000 tracks, organized meticulously.

Someone help me, please. It's not a file permissions issue, it's not an admin account issue.

Dell XPS 410, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Mar 28, 2008 4:20 PM

12 replies

Mar 28, 2008 10:11 PM in response to Katrina S.

I have everything on my machine set to manual updating, to avoid problems like this. I can't think of anything that would have been updated. I don't run antivirus, or any security software. Anything that comes into my network, comes through another box that does have antivirus/security stuff. That's why this makes absolutely no sense.

The only thing I think might have changed would be, I updated my iTunes software a couple of weeks ago. I just haven't tried to add or delete any music until today.

I guess I get to stat pouring over my logs now. Good times. I know I'm missing something, these things don't just magically happen. I just can't for the life of me thing what it could be.

Jun 16, 2008 11:17 AM in response to jscro

I am seeing the same error. I am running on Windows XP ME on an HP Athelon, iTunes 7.6.2.9.

I even tried uninstalling SP3, and reinstalling iTunes. Also starting iTunes with the shift key down, and recreating the iTunes library. I have also tried moving the library aside, recreating the library, and reimporting the library. Every time every effort ends in this error.

Aug 15, 2008 2:27 PM in response to basoldier

See this thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7463672

I also saw someone saying they increased their Swap File size.

I, personally, had a problem with permissions. In Vista 64 I had relocated my "My Documents" etc folders to a different drive. They came across ok except that some of them had explicitly specified 'no permissions' for my user. The fix was easy:
1. just Right Click the folder
2. select Properties
3. go to the Security tab
4. click the Edit button
5. hit Continue on the UAC (User Access Control)
6. click on your User
7. click Modify (or Full Control if you prefer)

In XP the process is pretty much the same, minus step 5.
You may also want to do the same process on the index file itself to verify that the permissions filter down.

Sep 15, 2008 8:36 PM in response to dkman

I just updated to Itunes 8.0 and started having the same problem. I can see the last time the itunes music library was saved, which was just before I started getting the message. I am using windows Vista. I followed the steps the user above was mentioning. I also have a custom location of the ITL on a network drive. I am the owner of the itunes library. It seems that there is a "Temp File.tmp" in the directory that I can't delete because I don't have permissions - I wonder if this might have something to do with it?

Sep 22, 2008 11:41 PM in response to grobbins

Seems to have been that "Temp File.tmpy.itl" or similarly named file that was causing the trouble. Turns out my anti-virus software, Bitdefender, had opened that file and wasn't letting go.

I just used Process Explorer, found the file that was being used and forcedly closed the file handle.

Problem solved (for me anyway).

Sep 23, 2008 8:18 AM in response to jscro

jscro
Well, it might just be faster to give yourself full control and ownership of the folder where the ITL file is.

And also a few parent folders up in the folder tree.

I recently installed XP SP3 on my laptop. Got errors that I didn't have permissions to do it. It was from a computer admin account, actually the only user on the laptop besides the Windows default "guest" account. I had to run a microsoft tool to reset registry & file access permissions to get SP3 to install from the single, solitary admin account on the laptop.

I think computers in general change permissions mysteriously ... I've read posts about resetting Mac permissions or keychains, too.

The iTunes Library File cannot be saved. You do not have enough access priv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.