Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 2.01 Update - My Movies->Genres freezing

Good news from 2.01 update was that it was to include Genres under the My Movies menu.
Problem is that each time you move down to select a new genre it freezes. For some items it is about 5secs but for others 10-15secs.

Is this a problem experienced by all, or an isolated case. I have over 300 movies and TV shows in library and streaming over 802.11n. Everything else has speedy menus, just Genres for Movies!

Message was edited by: mpdajo

Power Mac G5, Macbook Pro, Macbook, Apple TVs, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2008 7:24 PM

30 replies

Mar 28, 2008 7:47 PM in response to mpdajo

Im having the same issue - on "My Movies" that are not synced. I have about a 15 second delay for every remote click. I have about 200 movies. This is the first problem I have ever encountered in almost a year of owning it BTW - so I know its not my network setup because that has not changed.

*Edit #2* to add that I have an addition library of movies that is in another iTunes (shows up as "Shared Movies") that does not have this problem - there are about 150 movies in it - however there are only 2 genres. In the "My Movies" were I have about 200 movies that are streamed via the main library that has some content synced there is about 20 genres and this is the menu that is freezing for me.

*Edit #3* I just added a whole bunch of genres to the "Shared Movies" (12 to be exact) and I still cant duplicate the problem - it appears its a problem with the "My Movies" section only.

Mar 28, 2008 9:01 PM in response to Jeff SD

Have you power cycled the ATV to see if the problem persists after a complete reboot?

If that doesn't work, while it would be a pain if you've synced a bunch of files to the ATV, you can do a factory reset and update it again. I updated mine and wandered through Genre's and had no issues. Though I am streaming to maintain a larger library than any ATV could hold, and have no content synced to my ATV.

Mar 30, 2008 1:58 PM in response to mpdajo

I'm experiencing the exact same issue with the 2.01 update. Scrolling through the My Movies list is not a problem and is snappy. The minute I drill down on the Genres list, it takes about 5-10 seconds between when I press the remote button and when the selection bar on the list moves. I tried to reboot, but did not see any change in behavior.

The ironic thing is that performance on all other menus is greatly improved from the 2.0 version of ATV, which slowed the responsiveness of the entire user interface down to the point of being unusable. At least now it's only happening on then new Genres screen underneath My Movies.

Mar 31, 2008 9:16 AM in response to smithers2112

i think you may be right about the speed thing, but i'm not sure...

but some people experience lots of interference when using 2.4 GHz since it overlaps the frequencies of many other wireless devices in the home... most other WiFi networks close by, bluetooth, cordless phone, wireless speaker system, leaky microwaves etc... so for those with lots of interference issues 5 GHz is still a valid/good choice for many, speed difference aside.

Mar 31, 2008 10:46 AM in response to Norm Goodger

Norm Goodger wrote:
Have you power cycled the ATV to see if the problem persists after a complete reboot?

I have done a complete reboot - re installed everything etc. Even tried it with different wireless routers (N, G/B and an AX). No go - still freezing.

If that doesn't work, while it would be a pain if you've synced a bunch of files to the ATV, you can do a factory reset and update it again. I updated mine and wandered through Genre's and had no issues. Though I am streaming to maintain a larger library than any ATV could hold, and have no content synced to my ATV.

Tried that as well - did not help. Im going to try and remove all the movies and add them one by one to see if there is a specific file thats causing the slowing when I get home tonight. Could be the embedded tags as opposed to tags that iTunes tracks in its database?

Apr 1, 2008 11:51 AM in response to KingBee

yep im another one using vista with the issues of dropping network with the new 2.01 update. worked flawlessly before that. i was using 5 ghz wide changed security settings and everything did a factory restore worked great then once i did the update again it went right back to disconnecting. my conclusion it is definitly the update!!!!!

Apr 2, 2008 12:46 PM in response to uva25a

Ditto here....
Been working flawlessly for almost a year, until the 2.00 update, which started having the ocasional drop out. Since the 2.01 update it's practically every 15 minutes.

If I restart iTunes on my PC (XP not a Mac yet) then ATV finds everything again - at least for about 15 minutes.

Pretty much unusable at the moment - very disappointing, and not at all in character for the ATV dev team so far.

Apple TV 2.01 Update - My Movies->Genres freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.