Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable SMB

I have a ton of files on my NAS, and I have finally found ways to keep my iTunes, my iPhoto, and my Entourage libraries/files on the NAS, and not on my two Macs (I need to do this as my wife has an MA.)

Now, in the Finder I see two listings for my NAS. It uses the SMD and the AFP protocols (SMD for my EVA8000 Mediabox, and AFP for my Macs). I believe that AFP is better for the Macs, and by mounting the NAS shares using AFP, they stay there, even when the MP sleeps/wakes up. However, when I run my Applescript (mount volume "afp://;AUTH=No User Authent@NAS IP/SHARENAME"), the finder mounts them as SMB shares.

How do I ensure that my mounts are made as AFP mounts, or how I do I DISABLE SMB in OSX?

Message was edited by: bomelkr

MP (2008) and MA, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Mar 29, 2008 8:46 AM

6 replies

Mar 29, 2008 9:22 AM in response to bomelkr

OS X will use AFP by default, so if a shared resource has both AFP and SMB protocols enabled, OS X should access it via AFP first. However, you can disable smb by going to your "File Sharing" service in the "Sharing" control panel and clicking "Options". In there you should see the options for AFP, SMB, and FTP. Ensure that SMB is unchecked, and your computer should then only go through AFP.

Mar 29, 2008 11:24 AM in response to Topher Kessler

I had already checked that out, but it had no effect on my situation. The SMB is unchecked, and only the "Share files and folder through AFP" is checked. But, when I open the Finder, I still se two listings for my NAS, and they are both mounted, and even when I unmount all shares, and run my Applescript again, they mount through SMB. It is the same on my MA.

This is frustrating me to ****, because when my MP wakes up from sleep, the SMB mounts are lost, and the AFP ones remain. This means that I have to run my script to mount the "lost" shares again, and only then will my iTunes, iPhoto, and Entourage work properly.

Mar 29, 2008 12:17 PM in response to Topher Kessler

OK, I buy that. And it does say "Server: afp://10.0.1.200/Downloads", indicating it is connected via AFP.

However, when I open Finder, under "Shared", I have two listings for my NAS. One which is named "AFP on BMK-NAS", and one which is named "bmk-nas". If I go to the AFP named one, and open up a share, this will mount, and the Get Info will say "Server: afp://AFP on BMK-NAS. afpovertcp.tcp.local/Datas".

If I open up the "bmk-nas" listing, and open up a share, this will say "Server: afp://10.0.1.200/Downloads.

This indicates to me that I am dealing with two different kinds of mounts, which is also obvious when the MP wakes from sleep. The only one which will remain mounted, are the ones which were mounted by opening up the shares in the "AFP on BMK-NAS" listing.

Any ideas?

Mar 29, 2008 1:02 PM in response to bomelkr

Perhaps the NAS' server is broadcasting two shares, but the problem is definitely with your NAS box and not OS X. It looks like it's got a DNS server in it that's resolving the name "AFP on BMK-NAS" as well as broadcasting the IP address as a direct connection point. See if there's a setting in the NAS' setup that deals with automatic discovery or name broadcasting or something like that. What is the make/model of the NAS?

Mar 29, 2008 3:12 PM in response to Topher Kessler

You are right Mate! Thanks!

I knew that the NAS (Infrant/Netgear NV+) was using both the CIFS/SMB and the AFP protocols. SMB for my Mediabox (Netgear EVA8000), and AFP for my Macs. However, I had also set the NV+ to advertise AFP over Bonjour, hence I had the "AFP on BMK-NAS" listing in Finder, which was what I had used to create the Alias links to my Entourage/iTunes/iPhoto libraries.

After disabling that broadcast I only have the "bmk-nas" listing, and all my mounts are using AFP. Excellent.

Now if I can just find a way to reliably auto-mount all shares on my MA, when it starts up (easily with Applescript and Login items), and also when it wakes up from sleep.

Disable SMB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.