Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing Leopard 10.5.1 on PowerMac G4 MDD

I have a PowerMac G4 MDD dual processor 1.25 Ghz, 1.024 GB Ram, with 115 GB internal Apple issued hard drive. The ram, keyboard and mouse are Apple original issue.

I am running Mac OS X 10.2.1 (6R73) on the original hard drive.

I am attempting to install Leopard 10.5.1 from an Apple DVD. (The Family 5 pack license) and have not been successful despite many attempts.

The Apple Studio display is connected to an Apple issued video card. The Mac came with an Ultra SCSI card. I removed it.

I installed a new Seagate Barracuda 320 GB ATA/6 7200 RPM 3.5 16 MB on the same buss as the original hard drive. I did not move the original hard drive from its original position. The Seagate hard drive jumpers are set to Cable Select. This drive would not accept installation of Mac OS 10.5. It also would not Verify or Repair. “Invalid B-Tree Header” was an unrepairable error. I exchanged that drive for another identically rated drive, and began again.

I verified the 10.5.1 install disk media twice. No error messages. Visual inspection of disk shows some minor scuffs, but they were on the disk when received. The disk package was sealed.

I have formatted the target drive using Apple Disk Utility--the Mac OS 10.2.1. compatible version. It has passed the Verify routine many times.

I have run the “Install New System and the “Erase and Install” many times.
I have run a CD/DVD lens cleaning disk once. No help.

System preferences set to Never sleep. Screen saver turned off. Not connected to any network during install attempts.

No other PCI cards or any other modifications to the machine.

I created a new Administrator account, logged in and attempted an install. Install failed. Error message: Cannot validate “BaseSystem’ package.

On some install attempts, some files were written to the target hard drive but not enough to constitute a functional system “Install Failed” message appears after about 2-4 minutes.

On other attempts, the install would hang in less than 2-4 minutes.

I have an identical PowerMac G4 MDD dual processor 1.25 Ghz, 1.024 GB Ram, with 115 GB internal hard drive on which the 10.5 DVD Leopard disk installed on an identical Seagate 320 GB hard drive on the first attempt. Both G4’s were purchased new on the same date from the same retailer.

The only differences between my two G4 MDD’s are:

1. that the problem G4 is running 10.2.1 on the original hard drive, and the working G4 is running 10.2.8 on the original hard drive. (I am not attempting to install 10.5 on that drive.)

2. that before installing 10.5.1, I moved the original 115 GB hard drive on the successful G4 to the slower buss and put two Seagate 320 GB drives on the faster buss previously occupied only by the original 115 GB hard drive.

3. I have not checked to see if the ram chips on the two G4’s are exactly identical manufacture, etc. Also have not compared every detail in System Profiler to determine if build number, etc. are identical.

To test the effect of drive position on the problem G4 MDD, I moved the original 115 MB hard drive to the slower buss, and put the Seagate target drive in the Master position on the faster buss cable. An Erase and Install attempt failed. Error message: “The installer could not verify the ‘BaseSystem’ package. Three folders were installed on this attempt. “BaseSystem.pkg.152.Mrqnl2” of zero KB, “Library” of zero KB, and “private” of 64 MB. On a previous attempt, the BaseSystem folder was about 292 Mb.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to avoid the first thirty questions clarifying things I missed.

I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Mac 8500, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Apr 1, 2008 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2008 3:01 PM

My best guess is there is a problem with the DVD drive on the problem G4.

You could try using target mode, with the problem G4 as the target, and run the installer on the computer that you know will work.
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/DeveloperNotes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4_16Jan01/3Input-Output/Target_Disk_Mode.html
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2008 3:01 PM in response to itzpitz71

My best guess is there is a problem with the DVD drive on the problem G4.

You could try using target mode, with the problem G4 as the target, and run the installer on the computer that you know will work.
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/DeveloperNotes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4_16Jan01/3Input-Output/Target_Disk_Mode.html

Apr 1, 2008 11:14 PM in response to Eustace Mendis

Not having a firewire cable at hand, I transplanted the target drive to the successful install G4 so that I was installing on the successful G4 using a "successful CD/DVD drive" on to the target Seagate Drive. WORKED the first attempt.

Believing that the knowledge gained by these tedious exercises in troubleshooting should be shared and added to the public record, the following should be noted.

Clearly, either the problem G4 MDD has a problem, or the CD/DVD drive in the G4 MDD has a problem with installing Mac OS 10.5. A gambler would bet on the CD/DVD drive having some issue and not the Mac G4.

It is noteworthy that the CD/DVD drive in question has successfully read and burned CD's and verified the Mac OS 10.5 Install DVD without error, hence, in all of those actions, indicated no error or problems at all, yet, appears to be the problem. Perhaps INSTALL of Mac OS 10.5 raises some issue with the CD/DVD drive that the other successful actions (reading and burning of CD's) does not raise. I have no other reasonable explanation.

My complimentary Apple Care for my purchase of a family pack Leopard 10.5 treatment was that since I was not installing 10.5 on my "main drive" any help was outside my Apple Care coverage. (The subject drive was on the Master position of the fastest ATA cable, and to my non-technical, dumb lawyer approach to things, was the "Main Drive.)

Of course, a prudent person would install a new operating system on a clean drive without trashing (and jeopardizing) a working operating system (and the data on that drive) until certain that the new operating system was fully functional and non-destructive, before switching to the new operating system. That concept appears outside the scope of complimentary AppleCare. Even more relavant, given comments in the Apple knowledge base about the disasterous consequences of interrupting an install.

Thank you to Eustice who was precisely on track as near as we will probably ever know.

I have spent nearly 8 days messing with this,(well spent)and, read nearly 1,000 questions and replies on various forums on other issues beyond this which have solved many questions I have not posted. To all of the true giants of technical genius who have helped me and so many others in this forum, THANK YOU.

Apr 8, 2008 6:48 AM in response to itzpitz71

I had a similar problem with a family pack re-installation. I had successfully upgraded to Leopard on my daughter's ibookG4, which last week had its HD go south. I replaced the drive and everything was fine on the computer. I tried to install Leopard from the family pack (it had only been used on one other machine) and it would not install. I had similar error messages and called Apple. I was told that the family pack disk is not a full software set but only an update. I reinstalled her original software (Panther) but the Leopard family-pack still wouldn't install over that - despite being verified. Apple is now sending me a new full version of Leopard for her computer. It seems like the family-pack versions have some limitations in several situations. Don't blame your installing drive.

Jun 10, 2008 9:34 PM in response to William Gallagher1

Funny, I have a family pack install DVD that I successfully installed on my daughter's iBook also. I haven't been able to install in on my PowerMac G4 FW800. I have tried all sorts of configurations, checked the memory, wiped drives and many other steps. I still can't get it to work. It freezes at the select a language screen or the cosmos background after that screen. I'll keep plugging away and post any follow-ups that develop.

Jun 10, 2008 11:17 PM in response to itzpitz71

I've had more problems with the Leopard Installer on older machines that seem to have a problem reading dual layer DVD's. The machines can read and burn single layer, but seem to choke on the duals.

I've got an external USB generic $30 DVD inside a cheap case that I use for these kinds of problems. The Sony-Nec drives are cheap, but work fine.

Jun 10, 2008 11:19 PM in response to itzpitz71

I've had more problems with the Leopard Installer on older machines that seem to have a problem reading dual layer DVD's. The machines can read and burn single layer, but seem to choke on the duals.

I've got an external USB generic $30 DVD inside a cheap case that I use for these kinds of problems. The Sony-Nec drives are cheap, but work fine.

Jun 10, 2008 11:19 PM in response to itzpitz71

Jun 10, 2008 11:21 PM in response to itzpitz71

Jul 9, 2008 12:59 PM in response to SnuffysPaw

Follow up: It took me a while to get everything working on my PowerMac G4 FW800. I had to wipe and reinstall Tiger. I haven't had the nerve to try again, but will do so soon.

On another interesting note after installing Leopard on my daughter's Macbook, she has had problems with a frozen trackpad once and her bluetooth has cut out twice. Both of these problems have been noted on the Macbook boards.

My daughter's book is actually a Macbook, not an iBook. It is the late 2006 model (1.83 GHz white, 512 Mb RAM, 60 Gb hard drive).

Message was edited by: SnuffysPaw

Installing Leopard 10.5.1 on PowerMac G4 MDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.