Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete songs from my iPod Mini?

I'm trying to delete the songs off of my iPod.

The directions say to click on the iPod icon in iTunes, open the disclosure triangle to the left, and delete any item I want to delete. But all of my music is gray and will not delete.

Also, it's formatted for Windows (I bought it used). Any way to format it for Macs?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.2), my other computer is a lime iBook

Posted on Apr 3, 2008 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2008 2:23 AM

The songs are "greyed out" because you have the iPod set to transfer songs automatically. That is also why the padlock icon appears at the bottom of iTunes next to the space used/available.

If you want the songs to be bold and selectable/editable, then you need to change to manage the content manually.

Please note that by editing/changing the songs on your iPod in this manner, the changes will not affect the songs in iTunes, only on your iPod.

To reformat for Mac, just restore the iPod.

See: How to restore the iPod to factory settings.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2008 2:23 AM in response to jcravens

The songs are "greyed out" because you have the iPod set to transfer songs automatically. That is also why the padlock icon appears at the bottom of iTunes next to the space used/available.

If you want the songs to be bold and selectable/editable, then you need to change to manage the content manually.

Please note that by editing/changing the songs on your iPod in this manner, the changes will not affect the songs in iTunes, only on your iPod.

To reformat for Mac, just restore the iPod.

See: How to restore the iPod to factory settings.

How do I delete songs from my iPod Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.