Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import No Longer Working

Hi,

I've been editing a bunch of audio files, and reimporting the snippets back to iTunes. I've done about 150 imports so far, and now I can't import anything. Neither drag and drop, or File>Import works.

I get a brief flash on the display, but noting gets copied.

I'm current on iTunes (7.6.1) and have tried restarting, and rebooting. Nothing fixes this.

Is this a sign that something has been corrupted?
Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Help appreciated

jeff

G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 4, 2008 10:15 PM

5 replies

Apr 5, 2008 10:46 AM in response to Timmy Y

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, I'm on 7.6.2. I'm using ACC (.m4a) format for both source, and edited files. I haven't tried another user, but I do have some more information, and maybe a better question.

What I'm doing is splitting up some files from the iTunes Library into segments using Rogue Amoeba Fission. Some of these files are essentially the same content, but all are from different source files. Hence some of the info is the same (Album, Artist, Title...) However, they all have different file sizes, date added/modified, comments.

I remove the original files from iTunes before importing the new split files.

I've split and reimported numerous files up until now, and even the duplicate titles have imported fine until now. (I currently have about 27 duplicate titles out of approximately 240 total edited files).

To summarize, the files I can't import now are duplicate Titles, Albums, and Artists, but are in fact different files. I can import them if I add a character (a space) in the title.

So the question may be, what are the attributes that iTunes uses to determine whether a new import already exists in the library? How do I circumvent this?

Thanks
Jeff

Jun 18, 2008 7:26 AM in response to Jeff Schuh

I'm having the same problem. I'm using iTunes 7.6.2
I'm experimenting with importing the same track at different bit rates to see if I hear a difference in quality and to see how much room it takes up.
It let me do it a couple times, even with title, artist and everything an exact duplicate but just at a different rate.

Jun 18, 2008 7:57 AM in response to Jeff Schuh

Here is what I noticed: I can import a track for the first time from a CD, I can then import it again,

however, this time it will tell me:

"One or more of the songs you have selected to import have already been imported. Do you want to replace existing songs and import them again?"

Then it gives me 3 choices, 1. Replace Existing, 2. Cancel, 3. Don't replace

I have chosen on 2 different tracks to "Don't replace" and it adds the new duplicate track to the library but at the different bit rate that I selected. It then puts a white check mark in a green circle next to the songs I've done that to on the CD view.

It will not let me do it a third time for the same track. Even after I have deleted it from the library. It WILL let me do the other ones that I have not done yet.

So it seems that if I have imported a track into iTunes twice, it will not let me import it again, it does not matter if it is in the library or not.

I wonder if this is caused from the same problem.

Import No Longer Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.