Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have to enter password twice when waking up from sleep

Every morning when I wake my PB from sleep, it prompts me for my username and password. The first time I [correctly] enter in my password, it shows me my Desktop briefly, then the screen goes black, and then the username/password dialog appears again. At this point, if I enter my password in again, it will then show me my Desktop again, and everything will be fine.

This only happens the first time I wake the PB from sleep (usually in the morning). If I sleep the PB again and wake it, it works normally. My problem only seems to occur after I've let it sleep for a while.

It's not a showstopper, but it is an annoyance. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted on Oct 6, 2005 9:43 AM

4 replies

Oct 22, 2005 8:07 PM in response to TJ in VA

I've been posting the same issue for quite some time now without finding a solution. I've had the problem in Panther then in Tiger. It's not the first time in the morning, but it does seem to usually happen after it's been asleep for a while. It just happened 10 minutes ago, and my PB's been sleeping for about six hours.

I've tried repairing permissions, running all sorts of diagnostics, etc. No luck.

Maybe this isn't related, but I also sometimes get the situaion where it sounds like it wakes up (the sleep ligh goes out and the drive churns), but the screen stays dark. I need to close the lid, wait a minute or two for it to fall back asleep, then open it again for it to wake "for real".

Jeff

Dec 15, 2005 3:48 PM in response to TJ in VA

I thought I'd poke this topic to get it active. I have this exact same issue with my PB 667 DVI pretty consistently under 10.3.x through 10.4.3. I recently upgraded to a PB 15-in 1.67 (new model with the hi-res screen), also running 10.4.3. It exhibits this exact same behavior. What's really annoying with the new PB is that it immediately sleeps again after the first authentication and will not respond to keyboard input to rewake it for up to half a minute. It will respond faster to a mouse click (after three or four clicks) if one's plugged in. The 667 PB also tried to put itself to sleep after the first authentication but wasn't nearly so annoying, since it would wake immediately on any keypress. This is really annoying and happens most often if the 'book goes to sleep with the lid open and a screen saver running.

PB 15-in 1.67 Mac OS X (10.4.3)

Have to enter password twice when waking up from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.