Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New D-Link Router will not let my iPod Connect to the internet?

We just got a new d-link wireless router (DIR-615) It works on other computers fine but on my ipod it connects to the router but whenever I try to use Safari or other things like Mail, Stocks, weather etc. it just says "Safari cannot connect to the server" Or "error retrieving data" (For stocks and weather). Does anyone know what to do? It works on other routers, but not on our new one.

dv9000, Windows Vista

Posted on Apr 5, 2008 6:25 PM

29 replies

Apr 5, 2008 6:37 PM in response to 0DRK0

Also, it allows my to go to the IP pages that start with "192.621 etc" but the internet won't work. A while ago I cleared cache and it worked for about 20 mins then stopped working again. Clearing it doesn't work when I try it again. I tried restoring it and trying it when it was completely restored. Still no dice. Also, before when I tried to load a page or use stocks,weather etc., it waited about 15 secs. before saying it couldn't connect. Now it does it instantly. Can anyone help?

Apr 6, 2008 6:41 PM in response to 0DRK0

I had problems with a friend's Netgear router a few days ago (and I know she had no password). The iPod recognised that the router was there (so the router and the iPod were working OK) and I clicked on the arrow to get me to the settings where I entered the DNS number that her iMac was showing. Still no joy: using DHCP, it failed to show anything.

I went back to the WiFi settings and checked that the network/router was shown. Then I pressed to the left of the router name in the panel. This time a tick (check-mark) appeared and when I accessed the settings panel all the necessary settings appeared.

You could always press "Forget this netowrk" and start again. . . .

Apr 9, 2008 9:25 AM in response to 0DRK0

Then the devices are not connecting to the same router.

Can you talk us through the connection: from the cable INto the house (office?) right to the computer connection.

It sounds to me as if you are connecting the computer to a router and that the wifi comes off of that, if those numbers are correct (74.n.n.n is a bit odd for a home network methinks). If the iPod and the computer connect to the same D-link device, they should both have numbers in the same series.

I just had another look at that and numbers in the series that includes 74.210.122.88 are issued to Rogers Cable Communications Inc.. That is the connection TO the router, so your computer should have another IP number FROM the router.

Should. . . .

Message was edited by: Graham K. Rogers

Apr 11, 2008 6:38 PM in response to 0DRK0

OK, two useful pieces of information here. From what you write (and before), your computer is connecting directly to the Rogers' Wireless connection, while the iPod is connecting to the router.

What should be happening is that the router takes the signal from the Rogers connection then routes it to the computer and the iPod. While your iPod is connected to the router, your router may not be connected to the external (Rogers) source.

Rather than the iPod, there is some work needed on the router; and then the computer should be reconfigured to connect to that.

iPod right. Router, computer wrong.

OTOH, if your computer connects to the outdoor modem, why not connect the iPod to that and there would be no need for the router (or am I missing something here?).

New D-Link Router will not let my iPod Connect to the internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.