Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network printing

Network printing with Tiger: problem for adressing the printing server function of a routeur

My printer: EPSON Stylus Photo EX
My router : SMC7004AWBR EU.
With Windows, the printing port of the routeur can be specified when defining the printing configuration ( port name: PRTmate ). This is not possible with Tiger.
Consequently, when the printer configuration is defined with Tiger, this only by the IP adress of the router , the printer doesn’t work. It is “seen” indeed, but as “busy”.

Question : is there somewhere a complementary piece of software adressing this problem ?

Posted on Oct 7, 2005 3:44 AM

3 replies

Oct 7, 2005 8:47 AM in response to Jean BAJARD

When you configure the printer with Printer Setup Utility select Line Printer Daemon from the drop down menu. Fill in the IP address of the printer (not the router) and assign a basic queue name - keep it short, no spaces or special characters. From the Other Printers drop down menu locate and select the printer driver for your model.

Be sure to configure the printer with the same IP address as the one you use in the above configuration dialog. I must be within the IP address range of the router (192.168.xxx.xxx, usually, but do not use the gateway address.)

Connect the printer to one of the router's LAN ports using a standard Ethernet cable.

Oct 8, 2005 4:32 AM in response to Kappy

Many thanks for your message, but I cannot follow the recommended procedure because there is an additional element I forgot to mention: the only connecting port available on the printer is a parallel port.... ( see the end of your message )
The router, that works as a print server, has also a parallel port, of course.
So, in the configuration procedure with a Microsoft OS, 2 steps are necessary to address the printer through the router: 1. specify the IP address of the router/print server, and 2. specify the parallel port of the router ( name : PRTmate ).
The problem with Tiger is that there is no way to achieve that step 2.
My hope is that someone has already developed some software interface to solve the problem.

Oct 8, 2005 10:19 AM in response to Jean BAJARD

So, in the configuration procedure with a Microsoft OS, 2 steps are necessary to address the printer through the router: 1. specify the IP address of the router/print server, and 2. specify the parallel port of the router ( name : PRTmate ).

The problem with Tiger is that there is no way to achieve that step 2.

You can simply network the parallel port printer using a parallel port print server (ie there is a way to achieve step 2).

Network printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.