Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my iSight dead?

I'll try to be concise but include as much info as I can. External iSight on Digital Audio G4, 10.5.2, 1.47 GHz processor, 1.5 gigs RAM. Was working great, then abruptly quit. Camera does not show up in system profiler. If it is unplugged, and plugged back in, the green light comes on and then goes out. When machine is restarted, green light comes on and stays on—never goes out. If iris is closed, light goes out, but opening iris shows no light. Every application, from iChat, to PhotoBooth, to QuickTime Pro, (to anything imaginable on the machine that can use a cam) will not recognize the iSight. Even the microphone can't be detected in the sound system preference. Tried three different firewire cables, both ports on the machine, all with same results. To rule out software, or hardware on the digital audio, I took a spare dual 500 MHz Sawtooth machine, I did a full wipe, clean install of 10.4 (including all updates available—the ONLY software on this machine is what is installed with the OS and the software updates.) and the cam's behavior is identical to that which I described on the Digital Audio. The only things plugged in to the Sawtooth are Apple Keyboard & Mouse, the monitor and the iSight. Is my poor iSight dead? Anyone have any tips or tricks up their sleeves? Bear in mind, this is behaving exactly the same on two different machines running two different operating systems, so I don't think a PRAM zap or a permissions repair, etc. is going to cut it, although I did try all of those things anyway. I tried every suggestion from the Apple Troubleshooting iSight page as well, on both machines. Anyone ever send one of these in for repair? The warranty is out, and I hate to pay more to fix it than I would pay to get another one somewhere like E-Bay. Any help or advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated!

G4 DA w_1.5 gHz under the hood, Mac OS X (10.5), 1.5 gHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 1 TB, & many more goodies

Posted on Apr 6, 2008 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2008 6:22 AM

Hello garygg

It seems to me that you have likely tried every suggestion in my list of tests for external iSight.

Having failed all tests on two different Macs, my opinion is that your iSight most likely needs service.

My Rev A iSight is still working, so I have never had it serviced. If you do not have local access to an Apple Authorized Service Provider, use the info from Apple's iSight Service: Frequently Asked Questions. That page contains the link to Apple's on-line " iSight service request form".

If your local Apple Service Technician has difficulty finding needed parts, you or he can contact http://www.synaptech.com. They have told me that they will help users obtain any parts that are still available.

One other thing caught my eye. The Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio) - Technical Specifications shows Processor speeds far less that your posted 1.47 GHz. If you have added some kind of hardware acceleration since your iSight worked, you might check with the vendor to be certain there are no known issues with external iSight. I mention this because external iSight can be exhibit a variety of possible hardware or software conflicts with iSight.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
EZ User uploaded file Jim

PowerBook 1.67 GHz w/Mac OS X (10.4.10) G5 DP 1.8 w/Mac OS X (10.5)  External iSight
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2008 6:22 AM in response to garygg

Hello garygg

It seems to me that you have likely tried every suggestion in my list of tests for external iSight.

Having failed all tests on two different Macs, my opinion is that your iSight most likely needs service.

My Rev A iSight is still working, so I have never had it serviced. If you do not have local access to an Apple Authorized Service Provider, use the info from Apple's iSight Service: Frequently Asked Questions. That page contains the link to Apple's on-line " iSight service request form".

If your local Apple Service Technician has difficulty finding needed parts, you or he can contact http://www.synaptech.com. They have told me that they will help users obtain any parts that are still available.

One other thing caught my eye. The Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio) - Technical Specifications shows Processor speeds far less that your posted 1.47 GHz. If you have added some kind of hardware acceleration since your iSight worked, you might check with the vendor to be certain there are no known issues with external iSight. I mention this because external iSight can be exhibit a variety of possible hardware or software conflicts with iSight.

Please let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

PowerBook 1.67 GHz w/Mac OS X (10.4.10) G5 DP 1.8 w/Mac OS X (10.5)  External iSight

Apr 6, 2008 7:26 AM in response to EZ Jim

I believe this cam is the Rev C? It says Part No M8817LL/C (I'm assuming the "C" at the end designates the version?). You are correct about the processor having been upgraded. I did that a week after Leopard's launch so I could run the new OS. But the cam has worked flawlessly with that processor in the case up until this week. One thing I should add, however, is that there was an upgrade to Ecam's iGlasses software (v2.1) which I installed a couple of days ago, but I did this after the iSight quit working as a possible (but ultimately fruitless) fix. Also, as I stated earlier, the Sawtooth test machine is bare-bones Apple software. I have been running iGlasses (the older version) since I bought the cam from Apple. Is it possible for software of any kind to physically alter or damage the iSight? I don't suppose there is a nifty Terminal command or anything like that that can reset the iSight to factory specs? I'm also going to bring the cam to work tomorrow and plug it in to my G5 there and see if it works on that machine, just to make absolutely certain there's no hope for the cam. Given the usually spendy nature of repair work (especially not knowing what is broken and what it might cost to fix), it's more likely I'll be packing the iSight back in to it's box to gather dust in the garage for eternity, and will hope I can find a USB webcam that works well on the Mac. Too bad, because I love the way Apple products work and play well together, but since they no longer manufacture a cam, I'll have to look to outside vendors. Too bad, because I really loved this cam, but it hasn't proven to be my most satisfying Apple purchase, factoring in the price vs. actual time used before breaking.

Apr 6, 2008 12:43 PM in response to garygg

Hello again, garygg

Thanks for letting me know you found my post "Helpful".

I agree that the "C" in your part number indicates Rev C. However, I do not think that External iSight Model Version Revision matters to your problem.

I know of no software that will damage external iSight. Neither do I know of software or software commands that will repair a damaged one.

You seem to have tested all possibilties other than a known working iSight on your home Macs to prove their condition. With all you have tried, I doubt that the work-G5 test will result in a working iSight. However, if your iSight works on any Mac, we can explore unlikely possibilities such as both your home Mac's having faulty ports or Firewire circuits.

I would not give up on repairing my external iSight until I got a repair cost estimate, but you may have a better feel for expected costs than I.

If you do opt for a different camera to use with your existing Macs, consider the suggestions this post on alternatives to external iSight. Leopard supports all the alternatives mentioned there, including UVC. You seem to be an experienced Mac user, and you may already know whether your hardware accelerator software supports all the alternatives. If not, check with the processor-upgrade manufacturer for possible known issues with some of the options I mention.

We will watch for your status update.

Cheers,

PowerBook 1.67 GHz w/Mac OS X (10.4.11) G5 DP 1.8 w/Mac OS X (10.5.2)  External iSight

Apr 6, 2008 5:49 PM in response to EZ Jim

I will take your advice and get the estimate before making any radical decisions, particularly because I really do love this camera. When it was working, the video, and particularly the audio, were outstanding. It's sad that Apple got out of the cam business, but who am I to argue with business decisions this company deems appropriate. Seeing Apple rise from the ashes to become the dominant powerhouse in the industry, leaving the competition in a constant state of catch-up and imitate, solidifies my conviction that Apple currently knows exactly what it's doing. I appreciate your help and will let you know if the repair will be higher than just buying another one off of E-Bay.

Apr 7, 2008 1:02 PM in response to EZ Jim

OK. Well, this isn't going to be good news to anyone who has problems with their iSight. I decided to take the advice and see about having the cam repaired. I went through all of Apple's pages, describing the problem, etc., and got to the final page to enter credit card info, and the estimated cost to repair is $164.89! WOW! I almost fell over backward in my chair. I understand that the iSight is a good cam and all, but $164.89?! I'm sorry, but I can't justify spending that kind of money to fix this thing, particularly since any of the repairs will only be covered for 90 days. Imagine if it broke again in 91 days. I do believe my loyalty toward the iSight has now officially ended. It's sad to see it relegated back to its box, because it was a nice cam, but not THAT nice. I think a wiser use of almost $170 would be to invest in something a little less fragile. Thanks for all your help and advice. I'll miss talking with you all, but not much reason to hit this particular discussion thread again, unless I do something silly, like try to buy another iSight off of E-Bay! Time will tell, I guess. In the meantime, I guess I'll go cam shopping. Anyone have any favorites?

Apr 7, 2008 3:36 PM in response to garygg

Thanks for letting us know, garygg

I understand your decision. If you eventually contemplate buying an iSight that has no warranty from a web auction site, depending on then current prices, Apple's repair cost with warranty might not look as bad as it does now.

Anyone have any favorites?

If you already have a Mac compatible DV camcorder, that will give you zoom capability and even better picture than iSight at no cost. It is how I started video, and, except for the clutter and setup/tear-down effort, it worked great.

Next favorite on my list for those who want a low cost item is Xbox LIVE Vision.  Xbox LIVE Vision's only two possible limitations are the fact that it has no built-in microphone and that, like any other external USB cam, it will not work with iMovie, which requires Firewire DV input. Whether these limitations are important to you will depend on your needs and system configuration.

Please let us know if you need any other info before you can mark this topic "Answered".

Cheers,

PowerBook 1.67 GHz w/Mac OS X (10.4.11) G5 DP 1.8 w/Mac OS X (10.5.2)  External iSight

Apr 7, 2008 5:38 PM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks for your input. One thing I hadn't given much consideration to is the fact that the Digital Audio machine has no Audio In port, so I really have to narrow it down to something that has a built-in mic. Interesting. I wonder what Apple had in mind at the time for audio input? This may narrow my choices considerably. Well, I have two full weeks before payday, so I'll have plenty of time to shop and compare! Who knows, you may be right. I'll watch prices online and get an idea of what they're selling for used. By then, I should know whether the cam will be relegated to the box of spare computer parts in my garage, or if I bite the billfold and decide to pay Apple twice for one cam! Thanks again for all your help!

Apr 7, 2008 7:03 PM in response to garygg

You're welcome, garygg
Thanks for letting us know you got the answers you need and for the User uploaded file.

I wonder what Apple had in mind at the time for audio input?

The last bullet in the Audio section of the
Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio) - Technical Specifications
page shows they expected expansion via:

• Support for external third-party USB digital audio peripherals
 such as microphones, speakers, and MIDI devices

Additionally, depending upon component availability and compatibility with your system's current configuration, the Expansion section of the specs identify PCI slots, Firewire, and USB ports interfaces that seem to offer possible additional audio capabilities via your Mac's expansion options.

If some of these meet your needs, the expansion items you seek may be expensive or difficult to locate. Moreover, I have no experience with them, so I cannot comment on their efficacy or ease of use. However, with all the upgrades you have already made, you can certainly judge their merits and potential for conflict with your existing configuration.

As I look at all the things you want to do, and depending on the complexity and cost of the additions you contemplate, I wonder if it might be prudent to consider a new Mac that meets all your needs out of the box.
(Ah, another decision for you to make... User uploaded file )

Cheers,

Apr 8, 2008 2:29 PM in response to EZ Jim

I have been researching all these isight issues has mine is also dead, although the audio works...

How is the camera connected? If its a cable could it be that something has been moved, come loose? My mate who I got my mac off Intel duo2 1.8 said the cam worked before it was reinstalled. Now its mashed .. arghh

Apr 8, 2008 5:54 PM in response to iBrad

Hello again, iBrad.

If your iSight is built-in, the connection is not user serviceable. For built-in iSights, the suggestions that apply were offered in response to your previous iSight Built-in not working more info topic. If following those suggestions do not help you, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for professional help.

After carefully reading your posts, I cannot tell whether your question here is also the same issue you raised in your Built-in iSight issue grrrrrrrr, but both " iSight Built-in not working more info" and " Built-in iSight issue grrrrrrrr" have been marked " Answered".

If you are using an original external iSight, its Firewire connection can be tested and repaired using the suggestions in How to test your (external) iSight to ensure it is functional. Users can replace the Firewire cable if necessary, but, if the problem is with your Mac's Firewire circuitry or physical ports, you will need the services of an Apple-Authorized Service Technician.

If you have still other iSight questions, I suggest you start a new iSight Topic and be specifics as you can about what iSight, Mac, OS and problem you have. We will be happy to try to help you there. You questions deserve the individual attention they will get in separate threads os their own that will not be confused with unrelated issues in someone else topic.

Cheers,

Is my iSight dead?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.