Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Roll Back" to an older driver or application?

Is it possible to go back to an older version of a driver and/or application with Time Machine? Sometimes I install an update to an application and it works worse than before and I just want to "roll back" to the previous version. I know you can do this in Windows and was hoping you can do it with OS X, too (either with Time Machine or something else). Thanks!

Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 6, 2008 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2008 12:01 PM

You can't do that with drivers directly, but you can do it with some applications (standalone ones that have all their resources in the application package). With drivers, the only way would be to use Time Machine to do a full system restore to the point before you installed the driver. This would get rid of all changes you made after installing the driver, so if you only recently installed the driver then you could do that, but if it's been there for a while and you've edited and created a bunch of new documents then it will get rid of those documents. Technically, however, it should preserve all those documents on the latest Time Machine backup, so you should be able to access and restore just the newer documents (or any changes since the driver install) from the latest backup, but I've never tried this myself.

Unfortunately TM doesnt catalogue system changes so you have to know when you installed the driver in order to pinpoint which backup is the one you want to restore to.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2008 12:01 PM in response to Powz

You can't do that with drivers directly, but you can do it with some applications (standalone ones that have all their resources in the application package). With drivers, the only way would be to use Time Machine to do a full system restore to the point before you installed the driver. This would get rid of all changes you made after installing the driver, so if you only recently installed the driver then you could do that, but if it's been there for a while and you've edited and created a bunch of new documents then it will get rid of those documents. Technically, however, it should preserve all those documents on the latest Time Machine backup, so you should be able to access and restore just the newer documents (or any changes since the driver install) from the latest backup, but I've never tried this myself.

Unfortunately TM doesnt catalogue system changes so you have to know when you installed the driver in order to pinpoint which backup is the one you want to restore to.

Apr 6, 2008 2:17 PM in response to Topher Kessler

Thanks for your reply. Wow, that's a lot of work just to roll back one driver or app! I would know, since that's exactly what I did to get rid of a persistent app I recently installed. I was just hoping for a more efficient way to do it. It's certainly something I hope Apple adds to their next OS update (along with a real uninstall feature)...

"Roll Back" to an older driver or application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.