Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“cannot decode raw data” - Safari (3.1) can’t open the page..

Hi all,

I've been experiencing continuing issues with the Safari browser (3.1). I have emptied cache and reset safari, but to no avail!

Every time i try to load certain web pages, ie. eBay, You Tube, i receive the following message:

+Safari can’t open the page “ http://k2b-bulk.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl?MyEbaySellingActiveListings&ssPageNam e=STRK:ME:LNL”. The error was: “cannot decode raw data” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1015) Please choose Report Bugs to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.+

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Webpages i try to load in Safari work fine in Firefox and Flock!

Many thanks

G5 Dual 1.8, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 7, 2008 12:59 AM

14 replies

May 29, 2008 1:18 PM in response to sgginc

The problem has to do with how Safari handles GZIP compression used by the website. I run my own site and many of my readers received this error until I disabled GZIP compression. I could duplicate the error 10 out of 10 times, but now it is gone.

Kind of disappointing we have to count on website owners to disable this until Apple issues a fix. On most sites we are SOL.

“cannot decode raw data” - Safari (3.1) can’t open the page..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.