Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMAP idle support

Hi guys,

I've been busy configuration an XServe G4 running 10.4.11 and I ran into an issue with Cyrus.
cyrus.conf has the option for imap-idle commented-out so I just uncommented it and expected stuff to work but as the logs tell me nicely it cyrus can't find idled.

After running a locate and an mdfind the results were the same, no idled to be found.

It seems that after Apple compiled Cyrus for OS X Server they did not bundle the compiled idled binary and trying to compile Cyrus 2.1.5 myself failed horribly, all kinds of sasl2 and berkelydb issues I can't get rid of.

So, is there anyone here who can tell me how the **** to get imap idle (also known as push-imap) to work on OS X Server 10.4.11 / does anyone have the idle binary?

MacBook Pro (early 2006), Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Apr 8, 2008 2:18 PM

4 replies

Apr 9, 2008 12:15 AM in response to daenneys

The idled daemon is optional and only needed if you have large user base.

Issue:
telnet localhost 143

When you see:

* OK myserver.tld Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12-OS X 10.4.8 server ready

Issue:
001 capability

This will show you something like:
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ...... IDLE ..... AUTH=CRAM-MD5

If you see IDLE you are fine.

When done issue:
001 logout

Apr 10, 2008 12:19 AM in response to pterobyte

Hi thanks I'll try that but,

If the imap idle daemon is nowhere to be found and when I uncomment imap idle use and the logs tell me, sorry, no idle daemon found I doubt it is actually going to work.

The reason we use imap idle is because it allows us to get our mail pushed to our mobile phones since everyone is using a capable smartphone, not because of a large userbase.

Apr 10, 2008 4:20 AM in response to daenneys

You should not uncomment "idled" in cyrus.conf since you are not using idled. You are "just" using Cyrus' built-in Idle capability.

As mentioned, idled is only needed when having many many IMAP users as it runs more efficiently (a bit like using clamscan vs. clamd from ClamAV).

Of course, your mail client must support idle as well.

IMAP idle support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.