Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calling Objective C from C++

Hi Guys,

First of all forgive my ignorance I am new to Cocoa and Objective C.

Basically I am trying to get some existing C++ code working with a Cocoa front end using Objective C.

I can access objects in C++ from Objective C but cannot work out how to access Objective C objects from C++.

The C++ classes are defined in standard C++ .h and .cpp files. Do I have to wrap them in .m files?

And tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Message was edited by: AndrewCapon

Posted on Apr 9, 2008 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2008 7:01 AM

You have a couple of options. You could use Objective-C++, using .mm files and then you could go back and forth relatively transparently. There are some restrictions between the two types of objects, so don't get too fancy.

A more traditional option is to provide a pure C interface to your C++ and use that.

Personally, I always use Objective-C++. I don't really use C++ anymore but I do like declaring variables only when I need them instead at the top of every code block.
13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2008 7:01 AM in response to AndrewCapon

You have a couple of options. You could use Objective-C++, using .mm files and then you could go back and forth relatively transparently. There are some restrictions between the two types of objects, so don't get too fancy.

A more traditional option is to provide a pure C interface to your C++ and use that.

Personally, I always use Objective-C++. I don't really use C++ anymore but I do like declaring variables only when I need them instead at the top of every code block.

Apr 9, 2008 8:38 AM in response to etresoft

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Using just objective c++ is out of the window as this app needs to run on multiple operating systems/windowing systems.

I am getting there by setting the filetype of .cpp files in the XCode project to sourcecode.cpp.objcpp. This allows the files to be compiles the same as .mm I believe.

The main problem I have now is finding the define that is the equivalent to _OBJC_ for c++ code, my initial guess of _OBJCPP_ is wrong, any ideas?

Thanks

Andy

Apr 9, 2008 8:53 AM in response to AndrewCapon

AndrewCapon wrote:
I can access objects in C++ from Objective C but cannot work out how to access Objective C objects from C++.

Perhaps I should have paid closer attention. You cannot go in this directory. You will have to define a pure C interface using a new .h file. You can use "opaque pointers" like Core Foundation does if you need to pass objects. But anything you do with the objects from C++ will have to use the C functions.

Apr 9, 2008 10:20 AM in response to etresoft

Maybe I should have put it better as well as I seem to be able to access what I call "Objective C" objects from c++, maybe I am using the incorrect terminology.

I have a test cpp file OSCLog.cpp:

/*
* OSCLog.cpp
* OSCLog
* Created by Andrew Capon on 09/04/2008.
* Copyright 2008 CAD Ltd. All rights reserved.
*/
#include "OSCLog.h"
#ifdef WIN32
void OSCLog::Start(CADTextView *pTVLog)
{
pTVLog->AppendText("Hello World");
}
#else
void OSCLog::Start(NSTextView *pTVLog)
{
NSString *logStr = [NSString stringWithFormat:@" hello Textview"];
NSRange endRange;

endRange.location = [[pTVLog textStorage] length];
endRange.length = 0;

[pTVLog replaceCharactersInRange:endRange withString:logStr];

endRange.length = [logStr length];

[pTVLog scrollRangeToVisible:endRange];
}
#endif

In XCode I have set this Filetype to sourcecode.cpp.ocjcpp

I have a Objective c controller class defined by OSCLogController.h:

//
// OSCLogController.h
// OSCLog
//
// Created by Andrew Capon on 04/04/2008.
// Copyright CAD Ltd All rights reserved.
//
#import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>
#import "OSCLog.h"
@interface OSCLogController : NSObject
{
// controls on the form
IBOutlet NSTextField *tfIpAddr;
IBOutlet NSTextField *tfPort;
IBOutlet NSTextView *tvLog;

OSCLog *oscLog;
}
// Action to start the logging
-(IBAction)start:(id)sender;
@end

And implemented by OSCLogController.m:

//
// OSCLogController.m
// OSCLog
//
// Created by Andrew Capon on 04/04/2008.
// Copyright 2008 CAD Ltd All rights reserved.
//
#import "OSCLogController.h"
@implementation OSCLogController
-(id)init
{
[super init];
oscLog = new OSCLog();

return self;
}
-(void)dealloc
{
delete oscLog;
[super dealloc];
}
-(IBAction)start:(id)sender
{
oscLog->Start(tvLog);
}
@end

The NSTextView tvLog is passed to the cpp code which uses it to append some test text to the TextView.

This all works and is what I was after as the cpp code is using objective c classes (or what I call objective c classes!).

As you can see I am just using a WIN32 define to switch between WIN32 and OSX, I am really after a define like _OBJC_ for objective c++ to use as the code needs to support more than just two platforms.

Cheers

Andy

Apr 9, 2008 1:08 PM in response to AndrewCapon

AndrewCapon wrote:
As you can see I am just using a WIN32 define to switch between WIN32 and OSX, I am really after a define like _OBJC_ for objective c++ to use as the code needs to support more than just two platforms.

I get it now. You've hacked up Xcode to build .cpp files as if they were .mm files.

Why don't you just use _OBJC_? No one other than Apple really uses objective C. You might try using _OBJC_ along with __cplusplus

There are some additional Apple-specific definitions documented in this technote

Apr 10, 2008 8:45 AM in response to AndrewCapon

We are in a similar situation. We designed our software so that a large portion of it would not need any Mac APIs. All of those files compile just fine with the cpp extension. We then followed the Bridge design pattern and created C++ classes for our Mac OS build. These classes are in .mm files and they bridge the Mac OS world to our code that doesn't have Mac API calls. Depending on how your code is set up you may not be able to do this as this will only work for certain kinds of architecture.

Stephen

Calling Objective C from C++

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.