Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Events.app

I am referring to System/Library/CoreServices/System Events.app.

1. What is the role of this application?

2. Is it important to have it among the Login Items?

Posted on Oct 20, 2005 11:09 PM

7 replies

Oct 21, 2005 6:42 AM in response to Dean Pahl

Dean,

Thanks for the advice, and in particular, for the references. To read everything is a lot of homework... I got the general idea behind System Events, but I still do not understand why should it be among the Login items. I did not put it there, at least not manually by free will. I am not even sure when I saw it first there.

If this was put automatically by Apple, fine.
If this is a side effect after using the Automator, fine.

Is it crucial to leave it there?

Oct 21, 2005 9:37 AM in response to Pink Panther

Hey, Pink Panther,

I agree. I first learned of System Events when tracking down references from another article a while back. Sorry — perhaps I should've just given a short answer. I presumed you'd just ⌘-F and -G your way through the docs for a quick look-see.

Conjecturing - - - >

My guess is that you did put it there — unknowingly. It's not in my Login Items.

I try to avoid 'em: checking Login Items being just another troubleshooting step that's easy to forget at the wrong moment.

But it would make sense, if you have an app that's actually an AppleScript — that you did, perchance, select for a Login Item — &/or that needs System Events to work. A little slippery to do that without your knowing — and perhaps a waste of resources — as it could probably be called when needed (?)

Automator may be the perfect candidate for such an app. I haven't really started working with it — so that would explain the difference between our Items folder contents.

Given that reasoning, I'd say it's probably not crucial — unless you've installed, e.g., contextual menu Automator actions that need System Events and can't call it when needed. . . If you're unaware of any, I say try de-selecting it and see. . .

Imho, of course.

Cheers!
Dean</center><hr width=100% color="996666"> <small>p.s. Btw, whilst checking my System Preferences »» Accounts »» Login Items for this, I noticed that the Adobe Reader installer (that we discussed elsewhere) snuck-in "Adobe Update Manager" as a Login Item when I wasn't looking. To use your phrase: talk about "phoning home!" </small>

Oct 21, 2005 11:37 AM in response to Dean Pahl

Hi Dean,
I think we both agree now on the non-crucial role of System Events in the Login Items. Regarding Apple Script, I have not touched it at all in my life, with the exeption of maybe indirectly via the Automator. So, this must be the trail. One can put it to a test.

p.s.
Regarding the snicking of Adobe Update Manager into the Login Items, nothing that has to do with Adobe (and other 'well established' companies) surprises me any more. This is why Little Snitch is my loyal effective Gate Keeper, making sure "no phone home" without my explicit permission.

Oct 21, 2005 5:44 PM in response to Pink Panther

If you switch to the Finder, and Control-click on your Desktop, does "Disable Folder Actions" appear as one of the menu items?

If so, it means that Folder Actions may have been inadvertently activated, and one of the jobs of the System Events application is to watch these folders.

If that seems to be the case, choosing "Disable Folder Actions" will remove System Events from your login items.

Hope this helps....

Oct 22, 2005 10:01 AM in response to Pink Panther

Hi, Pink Panther —

As I have this thread bookmarked, my interest continues. I did a little digging into "folder actions" when I first read MarkDouma®'s reply.
][<small>As a very successful software developer, MarkDouma®'s "conjectures" are historically ~equivalent to my "certainties." Imho.</small>]

I believe that this Mac OS X 10.4 Help article and this section of the AppleScript in Mac OS X website answer the question well.

I also did a KnowledgeBase search for the exact phrase "folder action" and an ADC search — and found the results enlightening. Given our "a lot of homework..." exchange, I'll leave it at that . . . except:

Best wishes,
Dean

System Events.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.