Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Explorer

I am considering changing to Mac exclusively but I have a problem. I use some online software for work that requires that I use Explorer. I see that Microsoft does not make it anymore for Mac. Any suggestions other than running Windows on the Mac?

Thanks.

Robert

Posted on Apr 10, 2008 1:00 PM

6 replies

Apr 10, 2008 1:42 PM in response to robh2

There are many other browsers that work with OS X. Perhaps you could try them instead of Safari on these particular web sites. Otherwise Windows is your only option.

Windows on Intel Macs

There are presently several alternatives for running Windows on Intel Macs.

1. Install the Apple Boot Camp software. Purchase Windows XP w/Service Pak 2 or Vista. Follow instructions in the Boot Camp documentation on installation of Boot Camp, creating Driver CD, and installing Windows. Boot Camp enables you to boot the computer into OS X or Windows.

2. Parallels Desktop for Mac and Windows XP, Vista Business, or Vista Ultimate. Parallels is software virtualization that enables running Windows concurrently with OS X.

3. VM Fusionand Windows XP, Vista Business, or Vista Ultimate. VM Fusion is software virtualization that enables running Windows concurrently with OS X.

4. CrossOver which enables running many Windows applications without having to install Windows. The Windows applications can run concurrently with OS X.

5. Last is Q. Q is a freeware emulator that is compatible with Intel Macs. It is much slower than the virtualization software, Parallels and VM Fusion.

Note that Parallels and VM Fusion can also run other operating systems such as Linux, Unix, OS/2, Solaris, etc. There are performance differences between dual-boot systems and virtualization. The latter tend to be a little slower (not much) and do not provide the video performance of the dual-boot system.

See MacTech.com's Virtualization Benchmarking for comparisons of Boot Camp, Parallels, and VM Fusion.

Boot Camp is only available with Leopard. The Boot Camp Beta that was used with Tiger has expired and is no longer available for use. So contrary to the other poster's comment, Boot Camp isn't truly "free." You must purchase Leopard to get it.

Apr 10, 2008 1:52 PM in response to robh2

You could try going to Safari preferences-advanced, and click the " show Develop menu in menu bar" radio button. Then from the Develop menu go to User Agent, and select one of the Internet Explorer options. This will identify your browser (incorrectly) to the far end. It won't help if you actually DO need IE, but my employer thinks that I need to run IE to access our corporate email via a web browser interface. They're wrong 🙂

Apr 14, 2008 4:08 PM in response to robh2

Don't know if this will help but I tried sending a resume to a company. I couldn't send it because the Safari browser was not supported by them only IE. I downloaded Netscape 9 for Mac, used it to re-apply, long story short my resume and application got in, even received an e-mail to my MSN account that they got it. Later I signed back into their account using Safari to change something on the application and it took.

May 14, 2008 4:05 PM in response to Kappy

Oh brother. I have Leopard and am in dire need of Internet explorer 7 for work as well. Despite every attempt to get the webmaster to update the site for Safari or even firefox, they flat out refuse. However, I absolutely need this real estate website for work. What are my options? IE 5.2 does not work properly. What do I need to do to get IE 7 on my mac without ruining the integrity of my ultra fab macbook?

Internet Explorer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.