Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail dying on "Updating Cache" with Gmail IMAP

Many times every day, Mail appears to die while updating its cache on my Gmail account (IMAP). It works fine with all other POP and IMAP accounts but something with the Gmail account causes it go die. I have to force quit to get out of it and re-launch and, invariable, it happens again. Never when I am looking, only when mail is in the background (that could just be dumb luck). Anyone else having anything like this?

1.25GHz 15" Al PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Also have: 1GHz TiBook, G4 Cube, busted Duo 250, LC III, and 2 PowerMac 7100/80s

Posted on Apr 10, 2008 4:44 PM

4 replies

May 11, 2008 4:26 AM in response to Michael Talmadge

I fixed this problem by doing a "manual" rebuild which included the following:

- Archived my mailboxes
- Quit Mail
- Moved my Mail folder out of my Library folder
- Moved the Mail preference file out of the preferences folder
- Started Mail which now thought it was starting for the first time
- Entered my account information
- Imported my Mail folders that had been archived
- Quit Mail
- Copied back my rule, signatures, etc., from the Mail folder I had moved out of the Library folder to the new Mail folder.
- Started Mail

Everything now works fine for me.

Disclaimer: This it the procedure I remember doing at work and I think it's correct. If you are going to try this make sure that you have backed up first and understand what you are doing.

Mail dying on "Updating Cache" with Gmail IMAP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.