Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Dead iMac

1457 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2008 11:13 AM by MGW RSS
Matthew Carter3 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 11, 2008 1:42 PM
My iMac died this morning: simply won't turn on. I've done a bit of troubleshooting and if the Mac guide is right my logic board has gone down (only one LED is showing). The iMac is out of warranty - and has been troublesome since I got it a little more than three years ago, most recent expense was a new hard disc.

My question is simple: do I take it back to Apple yet again and spend yet more money on a new logic board, or do I throw it away and buy a new iMac. Or do I do as my kids suggest and buy a PC. I've spent so much time telling them how much better Macs are than PC, but the evidence seems to suggest otherwise. Trouble is, I'm starting to believe them. Advice please.

Matthew
G5 iMac 1.8GHz; iBook G4 1.42GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • MGW Level 7 Level 7 (26,940 points)
    Apr 11, 2008 1:46 PM (in response to Matthew Carter3)
    Do not, I repeat, do NOT buy a PC. Check and see if you are covered by Apple's Repair extension programs which, if you qualify, will make the repairs gratis.

Please post back and let us know, and do not buy a PC

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    iMac Al 20" 2.4 Ghz, 3 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 15"iMac G4, 12" PB G4 (10.5.2), 15"iMac G3 DVD, OWC 500GB FW/USB HD
    Apr 11, 2008 2:40 PM (in response to Matthew Carter3)
    Matthew, if you are only a couple of months out of the time frame, Apple has often allowed it to be a bit elastic. The question is whether your serial number is one of the affected ones.

If you can't get them to repair it, it will probably be more economical to buy a new Mac, remembering to get Apple Care before the first year of ownership is up.

Edit: Didn't see you first response, by all means call them, be polite but firm and see what they will do for you. If the are not cooperative, call Customer Relations at 800-767-2775 and be very nice but insistent that they help.

Message was edited by: MGW
    iMac Al 20" 2.4 Ghz, 3 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.2), 15"iMac G4, 12" PB G4 (10.5.2), 15"iMac G3 DVD, OWC 500GB FW/USB HD
    Apr 11, 2008 2:55 PM (in response to Matthew Carter3)
    Let me know if sweet talking helped.

Thanks,

May 7, 2008 11:13 AM (in response to Matthew Carter3)
    Thanks for posting back, I knew Apple would come through for you (well, I hoped they would).

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.