Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead iMac

My iMac died this morning: simply won't turn on. I've done a bit of troubleshooting and if the Mac guide is right my logic board has gone down (only one LED is showing). The iMac is out of warranty - and has been troublesome since I got it a little more than three years ago, most recent expense was a new hard disc.

My question is simple: do I take it back to Apple yet again and spend yet more money on a new logic board, or do I throw it away and buy a new iMac. Or do I do as my kids suggest and buy a PC. I've spent so much time telling them how much better Macs are than PC, but the evidence seems to suggest otherwise. Trouble is, I'm starting to believe them. Advice please.

Matthew

G5 iMac 1.8GHz; iBook G4 1.42GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 11, 2008 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2008 1:46 PM

Do not, I repeat, do NOT buy a PC. Check and see if you are covered by Apple's Repair extension programs which, if you qualify, will make the repairs gratis.

Please post back and let us know, and do not buy a PC 🙂

User uploaded file
8 replies

Apr 11, 2008 2:10 PM in response to MGW

Hi Miriam

You know I'm not really going to buy a PC, even though I am getting seriously ****** off with my iMac.

My iMac does fall within those repair extension programs, though the video problem was fixed fairly early on in its life. Does the logic board problem come under the power repair extension program and, if so, will Apple fix a machine that's now more than three years old?

Thanks for the help.

Matthew

Apr 11, 2008 2:17 PM in response to MGW

Hi Miriam

Just had another look at the repair FAQ and found this:

How long is the iMac G5 Repair Extension Program available?
The program covers affected iMac G5 computers for up to three years from the original date of purchase. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

I guess that means mine will not be fixed free as it's too old. So the questions is, do I repair it or do I thrown it away and get a new machine?

Matthew

Apr 11, 2008 2:40 PM in response to Matthew Carter3

Matthew, if you are only a couple of months out of the time frame, Apple has often allowed it to be a bit elastic. The question is whether your serial number is one of the affected ones.

If you can't get them to repair it, it will probably be more economical to buy a new Mac, remembering to get Apple Care before the first year of ownership is up.

Edit: Didn't see you first response, by all means call them, be polite but firm and see what they will do for you. If the are not cooperative, call Customer Relations at 800-767-2775 and be very nice but insistent that they help.

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: MGW

May 7, 2008 10:49 AM in response to MGW

Hi Miriam

Just to let you know that sweet talking did help. I gave them my Mac history (I started with a Macintosh SE) and explained about the trouble I'd had with my G5 iMac, and how it had died (thanks to a known problem) just a couple of months outside the three year cut off.

To cut a long story short, Apple bent over backwards to help. The fix was free and the iMac now works again! I will remain an Apple customer for some while yet.

Thanks for the advice.

Matthew

Dead iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.