Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Take photo with isight on login

I am setting up a new iMac for student use in a media room at my college. I will create one separate user account for students; I would like to automatically take an iSight snapshot of the student upon login to track who is using (mis-using) the computer. Is this possible?

Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 13, 2008 7:23 PM

1 reply

Apr 14, 2008 3:16 PM in response to docjeff1

Hello, docjeff1

Yes it is possible, but.... you might want to consider some other approaches from a google search such as this one. Here follows the reason I suggest that you rethink your approach:

... automatically take an iSight snapshot of the student upon login...

This is easy to do with Automator. If you have never done something like this, here's one way:
• Launch Automator with Starting Points enabled.

• Click the "Photos & Images" icon.

• Set the Get contents from: choices bar to "My Computer's Camera"

• Set the other choices bar to "Take my picture when workflow runs:

• Click Choose.

• Select a Save As... name and Where location for the snapshot image files

• Check (Tick) the checkbox for "Take picture automatically"

• Using Automtor's File > Save As... menu command, select a filename and location for your app

• Select "Application" in the File Format: choices bar.

• Click Save

• Choose your new app name in  > System Preferences... > Accounts > Login Items.

• The app will run next time you login to the "separate user account for students".

However, unless your students are universally scrupulously honest, here follows the problem.

to track who is using (mis-using) the computer.

Everyone will know that their image is being recorded. Anyone who is misusing the computer can avoid their image capture by merely moving out of the picture or clicking the red "Close Window" button while the camera countdown is in progress.

Moreover, if one student just walks away without logging out or shutting down, the image capture application for the subsequent user's image would not run automatically until next login.

Maybe I am too suspicious.... User uploaded file

EZ User uploaded file Jim

PowerBook 1.67 GHz w/Mac OS X (10.4.11) G5 DP 1.8 w/Mac OS X (10.5.2)  External iSight

Take photo with isight on login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.