Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partly moving Home Directory

OK, so I understand the "sudo ln -s /Volumes/Data/Users Users" command creates the sym links to a new location for the Users directory location. In this case to the Volume/Directory "Data/Users"

But, what is the command if you only want to move one of two/three user accounts to another drive?

Would the following work: "sudo ln -s /Volumes/Data/Users/SPECIFIC USER Users/SPECIFIC USER"?

KB

MP (2008) & MA, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 14, 2008 1:19 PM

4 replies

Apr 14, 2008 1:54 PM in response to bomelkr

you can do it this way but you have to do this correctly. First make sure you are not logged in as the user whose directory you are moving.

First, you copy the existing home directory of a user to its new location preserving all permissions etc.

*sudo cp -Rp /Users/username /Volumes/Data/Users/username*

Next make sure that everything was copied correctly. Once that's done, delete
the old user's home directory (either from finder or terminal).

From terminal that would be

*sudo rm -rf /Users/username*

Finally, make the symbolic link

*ln -s /Volumes/Data/Users/username /Users/username*

Also, I think you have to set the correct ownership on the link so I would run

*sudo chown username:staff /Users/username*

I believe the above should work but if I were you I would create a new test user and test the procedure on that user before applying it to anything important.

Message was edited by: V.K.

Also, you can dispense with symbolic links altogether and change the location of the home directory from advanced account settings. This is probably the best way to do this. I would only use the symbolic links way for moving parts of your home directory like your Documents folder.

Partly moving Home Directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.