3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2008 3:24 PM by madisey
Lofty Becker Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
I’ve downloaded movies (from the PBS channel) on to two different Macs, all running the latest version of Leopard. Each time I try to play the movie (by double-clicking on it), the result is a spinning beachball of death and a complete hang of the machine - can’t switch to any other application, can’t force-quit from the keyboard, can’t do anything at all except watch the beachball and finally power-down restart. (In one case I left the machine running overnight, no improvement in the morning; in the second case, it’s been running for more than an hour so it’s not just that it’s a little slow).

These are my first tries at downloading movies (one a segment of Ken Burns’ “War,” the other something similar. I’m not encouraged to try much more.

Any suggestions for how to fix the problem? I can’t find any obvious threads here.

-Lofty

Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.4)
  • madisey Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Same problem. On an iMac running 10 10.5.2 and iTunes 7.6.2.

The video is in the library. I can right-click the file, get info, etc. As soon as I double-click it the machine freezes and the beachball appears. The whole computer is disabled, I need to hold down the power button.

Any help appreciated.
  • Lofty Becker Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I found a solution that worked for me, in another thread.

Go to username/library/preferences and delete all the com.apple.iTunes preference files (I found three). Then launch iTunes.

Hasn't worked for everyone, but worked for me.
  • madisey Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Woohoo! You're a genius. It worked Thank you.