Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HAL.dll error on winxp install

Tried installing XP SP2 on BootCamp (latest Leopard + updates).Launched Bootcamp Assistant, split equally (i need a big ntfs partition for XP) Inserted XP SP2 install CD (original retail version), rebooted. Loaded Bootcamp and showed me that i have a FAT32 partition, this is unacceptable for me so i reformatted it to NTFS by windows setup(Full format). Then it copied setup files and then upon first reboot a message popped windows root/%system32%/hal.dll is corrupt or not available, dont remember exactly how it spelles but this is standart windows setup message when boot.ini is corrupted. So what should i do to make it working for me ?

I'm a convert, i bought my MBP his year in march. I assume that any newbie may had some problems adopting to new archirecture but i almost cannot use my mbp the way it is advertised. All my USb devices are laggy in Leopard, so i installed winxp sp2 on VMWare/Parallels, in winxp is all working but music making software runs very slow in virtual machines so i decided to use bootcamp. And now i even cannot install xp. Sad, i have a gig soon and i will ask my friend to give me his Asus laptop so i can somehow play my live gig.

Message was edited by: ~cntr

mbp Santa Rosa/LED/ 2.4/2Gb/200GB, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 16, 2008 6:24 AM

15 replies

Apr 16, 2008 6:40 AM in response to kdb1

Tried reinstall, the same message appears. of coorz i reformatted it first by windows setup. Tried quick format and the long one. Not helped. Then i booted back to Leo and deleted bootcamp partition,rebooted again to make shure it apears as expected, one big Macintosh HD 200Gb. then i tried it again, maybe i overlooked something. Bootcamp assistant>split equally>insert other winxp sp2 setup cd that i have at work (retail)>rebooted>reformatted to NTFS(long format)>windows setup copied files>then press enter to restart>same hal.dll error. sorry. i feel stupid =))))

Apr 16, 2008 6:47 AM in response to ~cntr

This used to happen to me when using copies of Windows discs, everything would work fine until the hal.dll error, I would have to re burn another copy until one worked.
Are you using a new retail disc? it could be corrupt try and exchange it.
If you are using a back-up disc try burning a new copy.

Apr 17, 2008 5:41 AM in response to ~cntr

Here are two ways of fixing the missing hal.dll

using the XP install tools.

Option 1:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Option 2:

Boot from your install disc and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup disc and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn’t create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type “exit” to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.

Apr 17, 2008 6:11 AM in response to ~cntr

I was also having this issue.
Did some reading around, and found that a common solution is to make sure that you format the drive that XP will be installed onto (using the long/full format, not the quick format option.)

Definitely worked for me, and others from what I have read.

Should be straight forward, just will take a little longer to fully format the XP partition.

edit - just to clarify, format using the option during the XP install process, the blue screen one.

Lee

Message was edited by: vandozza

Apr 17, 2008 3:01 PM in response to vandozza

actually I remember some further instructions.

They were to -

- use the bootcamp installer to partition the drive.
- boot xp installer
- use xp installer to long format the partition (but DO NOT destroy/remove the partition setup that bootcamp has structured. Just simply long /full format the partition it created. If you remove the partition using the XP installer this hall.dll error seems to reappear.)
- following long/full format, install as normal.

As I said above, I used the long NTFS format, and solved this hall.dll issue.
Did you possibly use Win XP installer to change the partitions?

HAL.dll error on winxp install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.