Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest ASU 2.1 fails to install on Win 2000?

I was offered the update to ASU 2.1 by ASU today on two machines, and accepted the download. While this worked fine on my Win XP laptop, my Win 2000 desktop reported an installation failure and suggested that I'd "download only" the update and install by hand.

When I try this, I get the following error message (translated from German):

+Error registering module: C:\Programme\Apple Software Update\ScriptingObjectModel.dll. HRESULT -2147024769. Please contact support.+

Uninstalling ASU and reinstalling from the MSI gives the same result, with the added bonus that now I can't get ASU back again because the only version I have won't install any more. While I disliked ASU's tendency to keep pushing "updates" on me that were really new applications (e.g. iTunes), I would still prefer to keep it so that my QuickTime stays up-to-date...

Anyone else who has seen the same thing?

ciao marcus

Windows 2000, K7S5A, Athlon-XP 1600, German language

Posted on Apr 16, 2008 2:18 PM

8 replies

Apr 16, 2008 9:27 PM in response to mgroeber

I had the exact same thing happen - WinXP at work updated just fine, but Win2k at home update failed, and I uninstalled the old ASU and tried the install by hand and that failed - I even got the same HRESULT error. And I can't find a page for ASU on the Apple website, so I don't know if the minimum system requirements have been nudged up or what... Hopefully someone will reply to this topic who knows what's going on! 🙂

- Paul

Latest ASU 2.1 fails to install on Win 2000?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.