Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't set up Time Machine

Just bought a new Time Capsule. Setup went, apparently, well, and the wireless network is going like gangbusters.

BUT I can't get Time Machine to connect with Time Capsule using any of my (three) computers on the network. System Preferences/Time Machine sees it, and I choose it. Get a dialog box with my user name (already filled out) and space for a password. Type in the password, click OK. Get a message that "The user name or password are invalid." I've done this a dozen times. I've tried the short user name, the long user name, the name of the Time Capsule disk. I've used Air Port Utility to change the Time Capsule password to other things (I tried "me") so I could be sure I hadn't typed the wrong password. No joy, same message - invalid user name or password.

Anyone have any idea what's going wrong here?

-Lofty

Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.4), Time Capsule 1 terabyte

Posted on Apr 16, 2008 2:57 PM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2008 3:13 PM in response to Lofty Becker

I assume that you're typing the username/password combo for the actual Time Capsule itself? You haven't changed any settings in your Disks or File Sharing section in AirPort Utility? Mine connects with my Time Capsule name and password.

I'd suggest trying a restart of your Time Capsule if you haven't already, and post the settings in your Disks and File Sharing (sans the password of course). Can't really figure out what's wrong without knowing how it's set up.

Can't set up Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.