Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firewire not working after installing 10.4.3

I installed 10.4.3 with software update. The firewire disk was disconnected. Now my external firewire hard disks are not visible and disk utility 10.5.3 only finds some.. all reported to be with error. my iPod photo 60gb firewire connected was not found and iTunes error is to update the iPod or restore iPod....
I downloaded and installed the combo driver.. and after that iTunes now recognize the ipod correctly. The external hard drives continues to be an issue and some more are found but does not appear to work. I do have internal firewire that appear to work fine... and internal SATA drives that also works fine.

the combo driver appears to resolve something but there is still a bug in the external firewire. I have 8 external fire 75 to 250gb and do not believe all suddenly went bad.

Posted on Nov 7, 2005 7:08 AM

1 reply

Nov 7, 2005 8:14 AM in response to Bengt Schultz

You've probably done these, but just in case;

Also try the following:

Thought you could use this info about getting FireWire to work!

First, you should always Repair Permissions in Disk Utility before and after any update; I would do that now. If you installed your update with FireWire plugged in, your Mac may not recognize it anymore.

Try resetting your FireWire ports by disconnecting all FW devices, shut down your Mac and unplug it from AC power (wall socket) for 15 minutes. plug it back in and try FW.

If that did'nt work, download the combo update from this site (yours may be corrupt), not Software Update, disconnect all firewire + USB devices except keyboard + mouse, Repair Permissions, re-install update, Repair Permissions again + try.

If that still did'nt get it Zap the PRAM. While restarting Mac hold down the following key combo Command-Option-P-R. Keep holding those keys down till you hear the second start-up chime, then release. You will lose some of your settings so do this only if all the above fails.

For those of you with Macs that are not PowerBooks or iBooks, a bad internal battery can cause FireWire to not be recognized, so make sure it's good!
Whar errors did Disk Utility say you had?

Good Luck!

Cheers!
DALE

firewire not working after installing 10.4.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.