Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Soft returns exported to Word

Has anyone else noticed that soft returns (shift-return) in Pages get exported into Word as regular hard returns (even though the same "shift-return" keystroke creates a soft return when typing directly into Word), or is it only happening to me?

If it is universal, has anyone figured out a way to successfully export soft returns?

Thanks very much in advance.

Mark Knoll

Posted on Apr 17, 2008 8:44 AM

2 replies

Apr 17, 2008 9:19 AM in response to Mark Knoll1

Yes, I've noticed that, too. I just did a little experiment with a Pages document with line feeds/soft returns. Exporting the file as Word & then reopening it in Pages changed the soft returns to hard returns. I'm not able to check the document in Mac Word at the moment, but they are hard returns in Word 2007 in Windows.

I also copied & pasted the text into an AppleWorks 6 word processing document & even the pasted text lost it's soft returns. I have found in the past that copying & pasting text with soft returns from AppleWorks to Pages loses the soft returns but opening the AppleWorks 6 document with Pages retains them.

Exporting the document as RTF & reopening it in Pages did retain the soft returns.

This is something that should be reported to the Pages team by leaving feedback.

User uploaded file

Soft returns exported to Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.