Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV does not update software

My Apple TV is connected to the internet but will not update the software. I click update software and nothing happens. I have software version 1.0. I'm able to access my iTunes content through my network just fine, just can't update the software. Please help.

Thanks.

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 17, 2008 9:15 PM

9 replies

Apr 18, 2008 9:17 AM in response to phoomp

Yes but that would make sense, this is a forum for people having issues with the tv.

Just because people have issues with something doesn't always mean the problem lies with the software. People have issues with every version of software that's released, 2.0.2 is no different, indeed the numbers are quite low in comparison to earlier releases.

Apr 18, 2008 10:10 AM in response to Winston Churchill

If the aTV were a computer, with multiple different possible configurations, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But, the aTV is a completely closed platform with only 2 variations relative to capacity. Given this, I find any problems indicative of manufacturing or software problems, and therefore quite troubling.

What's more, though, is the inability to go back a version. With a computer OS, even with something as closed as the iPod Touch/iPhone, one can always go back to the last version that worked, even though if usually means reinstalling the OS and updating to the preferred version. With the aTV, however, there is no way to go back to a preferred version; you've only got factory restore or current version.

Therefore, I think the decision to update needs to be taken with greater consideration than usual, particularly in light of all the bugs in the previous two versions. For example, I haven't seen anyone yet claim that 2.0.2 has resolved the very common "aTV disappearing from iTunes Devices list" bug.

Apple TV does not update software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.