Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony HDR-SR11 /AVCHD/NON-INTEL MAC/HELP

I have called both sony and apple tech support and both offered little help today.

I have a Sony HDR-SR11 that I shot some HD content with. The computer registers that the camera is there as an external HDD. Sony's FAQ suggested that I save the AVCHD file to my HDD and it should work....NOPE

I hooked it up to a PC and installed the software it comes with and I was able to view my files but not export them into a normal format.

I have 2 sets of files one set is .m2t and the other is .mts both say they are Unix Executable files..***!

I have a Power MAc G5 running Leopard and Final Cut Pro 6 I ran the software update and it says that as of today 100% up to date yet it says that FCP should be 6.0.2 mine says 6.0

Apple support said that it may not even work on a non-intel Mac.....HELP

anyone get this to work, supposedly Imovie work s with it but the files are grayed out in the menus for imovie so I dunno all I know is I need this footage off the camera ASAP.

Thanks

Power Mac G5 Quad Core, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Apr 18, 2008 6:18 PM

11 replies

Apr 22, 2008 7:52 AM in response to famousrob

I came here actually looking for a different solution and not the one I'm about to say... but I will tell you that the new iMovie will import the video straight off the camera (in either 960x540 or 1920x1080). It's not ideal, but it works.

In fact, I'm doing so right now, but I came here hoping there might be news of a new fix so that FCP will import it directly (it will not, log & capture will not do it, just so others are clear on this).

That said, the video off the camera looks very nice. I'm still happy with the camera, even if I do have to do one hoop jump before I can edit.

Apr 22, 2008 8:09 AM in response to Shane Ross

It will not transcode to AIC or ProRes. FCP 6.0.1+ does not recognize AVCHD files on PPC machines (It pops up with a message saying your machine is non-Intel when you try to select the source files.)

As an aside, I know there's been talk by Apple about ProRes not working well (or at all) on PPC machines, but I've used and encoded ProRes in a variety of situations on my G5 and never had a problem.

Apr 22, 2008 8:16 AM in response to David Harbsmeier

Have you ever transcoded AVCHD with MPEG Streamclip? I don't think it does.

We use Voltaic, which I think is about $30. Works pretty well, although very slow at 12x realtime.

Apr 22, 2008 3:12 PM in response to Community User

I have a Sony HDR-SR1 and HDR-SR7, both AVCHD based camcorders. I'm on an Intel Mac Pro and both fcp 6.03 and iMovie (part of iLife'08) will take the video from the camcorder to my mac. Every once in awhile, I have to disconnect the camcorder and then reconnect it for things to work. I personally like iMovie better because it names the video clips based on the date/time the video was recorded and it keeps long videos together as one file instead of 3 or more clips.

Sony HDR-SR11 /AVCHD/NON-INTEL MAC/HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.