Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

How to change process priority

32824 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2008 2:01 PM by JeffCMKRNL RSS
JeffCMKRNL Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 19, 2008 10:24 AM
How can I change the cpu priority of a process?
I could not find a way to do this using the Activity Monitor. How about a command using the terminal app?
When I am using Handbrake, I would like to lower its process priority to compute in the background.

Thank you in advance.
Dual PowerMAC G5, G5 Mac Mini, CoreDuo MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.9)
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,790 points)
    Apr 19, 2008 1:11 PM (in response to JeffCMKRNL)
    Hi Jeff,

Just do a...

man nice

in Terminal, and note how it's backwards... minus is faster, plus is slower.
  • BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,790 points)
    Apr 19, 2008 5:34 PM (in response to JeffCMKRNL)
    Just type that nice 10 with a space after it, then drag handbrake from a finder window to the Terminal window... see if that works better.
  • carillonator Calculating status...
    Apr 20, 2008 8:50 PM (in response to JeffCMKRNL)
    you have to refer to the process by its ID. Go to the Activity Monitor (Apps>Utilities) and find handbrake and its ID. Use renice to re-prioritize an already-running process--nice is to start the process from the terminal.

To set it to its lowest priority:

sudo renice 20 2933

where 2933 is the process' ID (change it to yours). 0 priority is default, -20 is highest.
    MacBook Pro 2.2, Mac OS X (10.5)
  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,410 points)
    Apr 20, 2008 9:03 PM (in response to JeffCMKRNL)
    This -> Renicer seems to work okay. I haven't had any problems with 10.4.11.
    iMac G5 (Rev B) ALS - 1 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.11), silver mini, blue mini, silver shuffle
  • polyglotinc Calculating status...
    Apr 22, 2008 8:46 AM (in response to carillonator)
    I tried this and it did not complain with an error message but I see no evidence via Activity Monitor that it did anything!

I am still seeing 0% Nice CPU in the CPU tab of Activity Monitor
    and Handbrake is still using 150% of CPU (I guess this is possible because of dual core CPU).

How do we know that the renice did anything?
    iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.